Just bought a reman starter from Rock Auto.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Reaction score
I am not sure if my starter is going out or not. Sometimes it seems to miss engaging with the ring gear momentarily, makes a loud metal to metal clank noise, but then it engages and all is ok. But, 4 days ago, I tried to start my truck and the battery seemed very weak and turned the engine over slowly. The battery is less than 4 years old and has a 7 year adjustment warranty. So, I recharged it and the truck started fine. Today, after sitting 4 days it is still holding its charge. But, just in case, I might need a starter in the near future, I just wanted to see what was available. I haven't bought a starter since Nationwide closed shop and did not know what to expect for a price. So, a Motorcraft reman from Oriellys, was $245.99. I checked Rock Auto and they had a Motorcraft Reman for $79. I've never had any issue with Rock Auto or with good remanufactured parts. Rock Auto said this was their last one, so out of fear that I may need it soon, I went ahead and bought it. But, here's the rub. It has a different part number (SA1012RM) than Oreillys (SA860RM), I am presuming the RM identifies it as remanufactured. Couldn't hardly let that deal go by even if I don't need it right away. I will check it out with the original when it arrives and see if it appears to be the same. I really don't know if there is something else I should be looking for, like voltage drop or amperage or gear cog count. But, I have 30 days to check.

I am not sure if my starter is going out or not. Sometimes it seems to miss engaging with the ring gear momentarily, makes a loud metal to metal clank noise, but then it engages and all is ok. But, 4 days ago, I tried to start my truck and the battery seemed very weak and turned the engine over slowly. The battery is less than 4 years old and has a 7 year adjustment warranty. So, I recharged it and the truck started fine. Today, after sitting 4 days it is still holding its charge. But, just in case, I might need a starter in the near future, I just wanted to see what was available. I haven't bought a starter since Nationwide closed shop and did not know what to expect for a price. So, a Motorcraft reman from Oriellys, was $245.99. I checked Rock Auto and they had a Motorcraft Reman for $79. I've never had any issue with Rock Auto or with good remanufactured parts. Rock Auto said this was their last one, so out of fear that I may need it soon, I went ahead and bought it. But, here's the rub. It has a different part number (SA1012RM) than Oreillys (SA860RM), I am presuming the RM identifies it as remanufactured. Couldn't hardly let that deal go by even if I don't need it right away. I will check it out with the original when it arrives and see if it appears to be the same. I really don't know if there is something else I should be looking for, like voltage drop or amperage or gear cog count. But, I have 30 days to check.
Got the starter for my 2004 FWD , 6 cyl. from Rock Auto. It is in a Motorcraft box with the Ford logo on the label, but the actual starter only has a metalized plastic sticker with A1008F on it. The original numbers molded on the starter neck are F77U, 11131, AA. The part number on the starter and it's box are not the same. On the box label is : SA 1012-Rm, 7R3Z-11V002-ARM1, 5134551. I wonder if someone out there can just take the dimensions of the starter and tell me if it is even the right size. First of all, the starting gear is 10 teeth. The starter, not counting the neck which goes into the flywheel cavity is 6.25" X 3" d. I don't know, but it seems awfully small to me. More like a 4 cyl motor. Thanks for your help. I'm hoping that someone who has changed his starter might have their old core around to measure.

Not sure if this helps. I found this interesting that both PN's are listed for a 2004 ST on the NAPA website. Maybe stop by NAPA and take a look at one if they have one in stock? Looks like you found a good deal. 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707_064226_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_064226_Chrome.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230707_063720_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_063720_Chrome.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if this helps. I found this interesting that both PN's are listed for a 2004 ST on the NAPA website. Maybe stop by NAPA and take a look at one if they have one in stock? Looks like you found a good deal. 👍
Actually that does help a lot. The pic certainly looks like my reman. Thanks. Reg

I believe the starter is the same from like 1999 to 2010....

Latest posts