Just got into my first fender bender. What do I do?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DITTO!!!

NEVER admit fault, ever.

Hire a lawyer, and let the lawyers negotiate. Say nothing, even to a friend.

Remember that your first collision and/or ticket will set the tone for the rest of your driving career. Do whatever it takes to be judged innocent.

Mustang,

Are you being sarcastic above?

I can't tell.

I never say never...okay, hardly ever, so there probably are times when it is appropriate to admit fault especially once all the facts are in and fault has been assigned to you. Simply allowing that to happen, and paying for damages, to me, is an admission of fault.

Also, most collisions will never require a lawyer. Lawyers, a trial, and further investigations more often than not will just cost one more if they truly are at fault. The key as I see it is knowing when its time to "fold 'em" when you know it is your fault. Start with just the facts, but once it is clear that given all the facts you are to blame its time to man-up.

Likewise, when young and making mistakes it's rarely the case that they will set the future tone for anything...unless of course one is unwilling to learn from those mistakes.

YJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you being sarcastic above?

Of course not! What would give you that idea? Have you read your insurance documents? Don't they say "never admit blame"? This is really basic stuff.

I never say never...okay, hardly ever, so there probably are times when it is appropriate to admit fault especially once all the facts are in and fault has been assigned to you. Simply allowing that to happen, and paying for damages, to me, is an admission of fault.

If you've been arrested, tried and convicted, and face jail or prison time, then it might be a good idea to admit fault...that is if you're really guilty. But right after a fender-bender? No!!!

Also, most collisions will never require a lawyer. Lawyers, a trial, and further investigations more often than not will just cost one more if they truly are at fault.

I don't know the source of your statistics, but IME, if you get a ticket, the $100 that you spend for competent legal representation is the best-spent money, period.

Most of the time a good lawyer can save you fines, court costs etc. so you end up better off financially. More important than that is your driving record. It's a fact that cops tend to issue more tickets if you're stopped or get into another accident, and you don't have a spotless record. It's not fair, but it is how the system works. Play the game, and play to win.

The key as I see it is knowing when its time to "fold 'em" when you know it is your fault. Start with just the facts, but once it is clear that given all the facts you are to blame its time to man-up.

That's dandy if you're playing poker. But we're not talking about poker here.

If the police come, be truthful, but NEVER EVER volunteer any information that could be used against you, and NEVER EVER admit guilt. If you're asked a damning question, look down, act ashamed and say "I gotta take The Fifth on that one". The officer will understand. That'll probably guarantee you a ticket, but by not giving out any numbers, you're avoiding a whole slew of possible bad things.

Likewise, when young and making mistakes it's rarely the case that they will set the future tone for anything...unless of course one is unwilling to learn from those mistakes.

Nice sentiment, but not practical in the real world. Traffic enforcement has become a den of corruption, starting with Nixon's national 55MPH speed limit. And in this age of increasing public access of anybody's court records, even honest people must fight hard to maintain their good name.

R3V090, I'm glad that you and your friend found what looks like a great solution. I didn't see any mention of anybody getting a ticket, so consider yourself blessed. I hope that you never have another collision. But in case you do, be prepared to be able to do and say the right things in your defense. Chances are that the next guy will not be nearly as friendly...

mustang,

I see now we are talking about the same thing. As I said above...at the scene, and when giving reports to the police and then even to your ins company one should stick to the facts.

I was objecting to the word NEVER... As I believe that there does or can come a time in the process when you know you are at fault and it is time to give it up... And as I said, simply agreeing to terms of insurance settlement in which you or your ins pays for the other guy TO ME is an admission of fault. That is what I meant by "fold em".

You and I will agree to disagree on getting lawyers involved. I feel that is an extremely rare need... Or should be. Been driving for about 30 years and have had my share of tickets and accidents. No need for a lawyer yet, and my name is still good...as is my driving record.

TJR

Try driving in Chicago, or any mob-controlled area, TJR. The mob makes the rules, the cops work for the mob and you get your name plastered all over the FBI's NCIC computer system if you don't grease the wheels of "justice" the way they want you to.

The thing about NCIC is that it never forgets you...EVER. Back before mobile data terminals were the norm, cops would call in APCO 10-27,28,29 codes to see if you were easy prey. A "no stops, no convictions" reply would send you on your merry way. It doesn't matter if you're a granny who never got stopped once, or a scofflaw who hired a lawyer to grease the right palms. It's all the same over the radio.

These days cops are cowards, and will fill their monthly ticket quota by preying on innocent, honest people who haven't learned how to play the system. That's despicable behavior, it brings dishonor on a profession that has nothing but honor to give it any semblance of legitimacy, and it's HOW THINGS ARE DONE, period.

As for "never", that's a rule that you break after you've exhausted every other self-defense scheme. It's NOT something to be done minutes after the sheet metal crumples! We've been discussing a Happy Ending crash here. But for every Happy Ending, there are a million sharks out there with a billion pre-rehearsed stories that make the innocent victim look like the bad guy.

Do I sound cynical? I'd damn well better! I learned the hard way, and now I'm sharing the benefits of my experience with every young driver who doesn't need the hard way. Take it from a pro: 99% of the people on the street want to screw you over in a big way. Beware!!!

Try driving in Chicago, or any mob-controlled area, TJR. The mob makes the rules, the cops work for the mob and you get your name plastered all over the FBI's NCIC computer system if you don't grease the wheels of "justice" the way they want you to.

The thing about NCIC is that it never forgets you...EVER. Back before mobile data terminals were the norm, cops would call in APCO 10-27,28,29 codes to see if you were easy prey. A "no stops, no convictions" reply would send you on your merry way. It doesn't matter if you're a granny who never got stopped once, or a scofflaw who hired a lawyer to grease the right palms. It's all the same over the radio.

These days cops are cowards, and will fill their monthly ticket quota by preying on innocent, honest people who haven't learned how to play the system. That's despicable behavior, it brings dishonor on a profession that has nothing but honor to give it any semblance of legitimacy, and it's HOW THINGS ARE DONE, period.

As for "never", that's a rule that you break after you've exhausted every other self-defense scheme. It's NOT something to be done minutes after the sheet metal crumples! We've been discussing a Happy Ending crash here. But for every Happy Ending, there are a million sharks out there with a billion pre-rehearsed stories that make the innocent victim look like the bad guy.

Do I sound cynical? I'd damn well better! I learned the hard way, and now I'm sharing the benefits of my experience with every young driver who doesn't need the hard way. Take it from a pro: 99% of the people on the street want to screw you over in a big way. Beware!!!

Mustang,

You and I obviously live in different worlds, so to speak. I guess I am spoiled where I have lived. I don't think I could live under the conditions you speak of.

TJR

Latest posts