Just got my Xcal, have a question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Draper

Reaction score
I just got my Xcal from Wayne. One of the bonus features is that the Xcal can read and delete the trouble codes that causes the engine check light to appear. I have been getting a P442, slow vapor leak which I understand is ususally caused by a loose gas cap. I know I have tightened the cap as far as it will go every time I fill it. I have taken it to a Ford dealership, but unfortunately I filled the tank before hand. So they could not determine what is causing it. They also told me that it was not a big problem.

What I have noticed (since taking it to Ford) is that as long as I am driving around town which is usually under 60 mph, the check engine light does not come on. So far it has come on about five times while driving on the highway at over 60 MPH. The ford folks turned it off once and Auto Zone turned it off for me the other 4 times.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? Is there any correlation between the speed and the vapor leak? What else could cause this besides a loose gas cap?

Also, I have not flashed my programs yet, I was concerned about the fuses, but after I did a search, I noticed that the fuses need not be removed. I am going to assume that this is correct.

Thanks in advance for any help on these.

Hi Larry,

No haven't, thought of that, but I am putting my money into other mods currently. My ST doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it yet so I don't think I should have to replace the gas cap. Your idea is a good one though. I thought I would wait until I need another oil change and have the Ford dealership look at it again (while the tank is not full). If it needs replacing, they should replace it. The other thing I noticed is that this did not occur until I had the shocks replaced by Sears with Monroe Sensitracs. Though I can't see how they could have messed up anything by replacing the shocks, my suspicions are futher aroused when two of the sears workers asked me if I was having any problems with the vehicle; as they were working on it. Thanks again.

They want you to pull the fuses on the fuel pump and the electric fan ( you don't have this one unless you installed one as a mod) to prevent them from coming on automatically and creating a power surge during the process of programing. I installed a aftermarket locking gas cap which could cause a problem. So far I am ok but I'm for sure keeping the factory one in case I do. :)

Any crack in the filler neck or any lines or hoses will set off an evap leak code. When installing the rear shocks it is a possibility they could have damaged it.

When you install rear shocks it is easiest if you remove the canister under the spare tire. One of the hoses on passenger side is a very tight fit and if not put on tight enough will come loose. That happened to me. Check all the hoses at the canister and make sure all are installed. That is probably your problem.

Thanks all, I guess if Sears did cause this problem, its a-gonna cost me.:(

Evan - Nice trac, is that just the pic or did you really lower it that much? Any problems turning?

What size wheels are those?

Thanks again,