Just put in the Sylvania Silver Star Ultras

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Barker

Reaction score
Just changed out the factory bulbs out to the Sylvania Silver Star ultras. I used the 9007 for the headlights and the 9005 (high beam) for the fog lights. Took about 15 min. for all! I'm very happy with the $70.00 investment! Nice, white and bright! Advance auto has $10.00 off right now on the Silver Stars too!

Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas!

They are pricey, but put out some white light, I had them in my '02 too. Haven't changed out the '07 ones yet they seem pretty bright. I guess I'll wait until one dies.

Be interesting what you think long term. I changed highs & lows on another vehicle. They were absolutely great, but 2 of the 4 have burnt out in less than 2 years (25K miles). I replaced the burnt out S/S bulbs with the originals.

My research showed early failures, but I thought, maybe it's not true. It was for me.

BEst of luck with them. Enjoy, they are very bright and provide excellent visibility.

Ken, the Ultras are brighter, whiter, and last longer than standard Silverstars, so if you liked the regular ones, you'll love these.

Per Sylvania customer service the 9007SU or SilverStar Ultra has a 30% longer life and is 10% brighter than the 9007ST. The Ultra has an improved filament and the bulb coating is thinner.

9007 SilverStar Headlight

High Performance Halogen Headlight -

Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - part number: 9007ST

Lumens - Low 1000 +/- 15% High 1350 +/- 15%

Watts - Low 55 High 65

Color - ~4000K

9007 SilverStar Ultra Headlight

High Performance Halogen Headlight -

Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - part number: 9007SU

Lumens - Low 1000 +/- 15% High 1350 +/- 15%

Watts - Low 55 High 65

Color - ~4000K

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post! I'll revisit the SS Ultras.

Big Al - my 2 went out within a week or so of each other also. The high beams are still burning thoough (unless I just jinxed it).

Those are not the Ultras, those are just regular Sylvania Silverstars. They will also get you great light output, but they are not the one's being talked about in this thread. Just go on ebay, $25 shipped will get you the more expensive Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

Hey Cobra, Did you put the highbeams in your fogs for better light output, or because you couldn't find the fog bulbs? I think I would go that route too if they are brighter.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

jfire

There is no difference in performance between 9145 and 9005 other than a frosted tip to prevent oncoming traffic from looking directly into the hot spot of the filament.

The lamps are designed for a wide beam directly in front of the trac. They are not true fog lamps, but rather driving lamps.

SO like I said, I'd check them out. Was at Auto Zone and saw the display, figured I'd buy the low beams and see how they work.

The "Auto Zoner" zoned out and couldn't tell me the correct SilverStar Ultra # to buy. I didn't have the ST with me so I told him I'd come back.

Checked my 07' Owners Manual and it says high an low beam is #H13. Does this sound right? Are the stock bulbs HID ? If so, I'm not i mpressed.

Make sure not to touch the glass portion of the bulbs when you install them. For whatever reason your skin oil can cause the bulbs to burn out prematurely.;)

Ken, H13 is correct for the '07. I don't believe that Sylvania makes the Silverstars or Ultras in that series yet. I haven't worked at Advance for about 2 months now, but we didn't carry them when I left.

Latest posts