K&n air intake fit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
The part number is 63-2581. I looked on craigslist (shady I know) and found one. The seller said it fits f-150s with a 5.0L but wasn't sure what else it fit. These things seem pretty universal but I couldn't find if it would fit my 2008 4.0L ST. Just looking to see if someone else can help out and knows if it would fit or not. Thanks for any help.

No custom intake available for the Gen 2 V6, if they haven't made one yet, probably never will. Many here believe a high quality drop in stock replacement panel will out perform

the "open air intake" design that draws warm engine bay air, unlike the stock air box that draws cooler air from behind the headlight. Check out the AFE 31-10074 Pro Dry S panel. Superb build quality, great filtration, and most importantly NO OIL to contaminate the MAF sensor. Slightly more expensive than the K&N 33-2366 drop in, a much better product, IMO.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=31-10074&filter&menu=gas&searchtype=word&keyword=31-10074&brandID=59

Last edited by a moderator:
Different model for 2001-05 Gen 1 owners that may be interested.

Thanks. I looked on advance auto and other auto parts stores websites and it lists some similar to the one I referenced above. They say that they are compatible with my truck. Any info on that?

Avoid any filter that uses oil. It corrupted my MAF sensor. I switched to a K&N non oil washable filter. I went back to the stock air box after trying this out. I saw degraded gas mileage because of the hot air it was drawing in. When I went back to stock, it went back to the norm. The stock air box is good.

^ As mentioned, many BTDT's here. Keep in mind, the small HP/torque gains from open intakes occurs well above 3000 RPM.

Unless you are driving at wide open throttle, the benefits are almost non existent. Here's a K&N dyno chart for the Gen 1 ST.

For what it's worth, I have had a K&N for 190,000 miles and cleaned the MAF sensor only once, about a month ago (there could be differences in MAF sensors, year to year). There was no problem, and I noticed no difference after cleaning, I just thought it'd be a good maintenance thing to do. Tip: Only enough oil to uniformly color the filter. I plan on two coats - spray light and touch-up the light areas.

As for performance gains, they are small, but cumulative. A few percent here and there, and it becomes noticeable, but you have to consider how many modifications that build on each other you are willing to do.

Thanks for all the info and input. Looked at that dyno chart and that was eye opening. Very rarely am I above 3000 rpm unless I'm just messing around. But every little bit counts. It all adds up. What about the other end? Exhaust? Duel? Easy install or no?

Most people that have SCT XCal tuners among other mods, seem to feel it offers the most bang for the buck. Great thing about Torrie, he

will update your tunes as you add minor performance mods. For me, it was worth $400 for the firmer shifting and trouble code reader alone.

Custom Cold Air Intake (NOT Mine)

Latest posts