K&N drop in-warranty issue???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I was reviewing the vehicle inspection paper that was done back in march. This was done when I had the trans additive done. They made note that I had the K&N drop in. A statment next to that said to make note of this in the owners file with Ford.

Any one think this might cause a problem with warranty issues down the road??:unsure:

Only if you have a problem with the MAF sensor getting contaminated with oil from the K&N filter. They probably made a note of the K&N filter in case you bring it in with problems and changed back to a paper filter, so they can blame it on the K&N.

Legally, if the oil from the K&N filter contaminates the MAF sensor, Ford is not required to make the repairs under warranty since the aftermarket K&N filter did cause the problem. The tricky part is if they claim that the K&N filter caused some other problem not associated with the MAF or intake air like the ERG valve or DPFE sensor.

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act states that the dealer cannot deny warranty service or void your warranty based only on the existence of an aftermarket part. They must confirm that the part was the direct cause of the problem.

According to the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, even if the dealer finds that the aftermarket part caused the problem they cannot deny your warranty claim. They are supposed to fix your vehicle under the warranty, and go to the manufacturer of the aftermarket part for reimbursement for their work. I think we all know that it will be a cold day in hell when Ford goes after another corporation when they can easily stick the customer with the bill.

...Rich

I also agree. I read the M-M warranty act on another website about K@N and I

believe it also states something to the effect that they cannot void warranties

for filters or other maintenance items if the dealer does not offer these items

for free during the warranty period. Someone else chime in on this and let me

know if my memory has failed me on this...

Thanks for the feedback. I found it intresting they would write that on my inspection paper. I took the trac to a dealer closer to me for the additive. From now on I will take it to where I bought it. They are a SVT dealer. They understand performance. Thay havent said anything about the K&N in my wifes Escape..

Latest posts