K&N Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret Pardew

Reaction score
Hi all-

Is it worth it for me to install this K&N filter on my 01 ST? this is the only deviation from stock my ST will have...basically I am asking if I really need to do this versus remaining stock.

$209- on EABY

Thanks all-

Bret

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO w/o any other mods it's not really a good deal to buy the $209 K&N.

You can buy the $30.00 air intake of E-bay and get the same results and a custom intake look for a whole lot less that will function the same as the K&N w/o any mods.

Lots of folks here have gone the $30.00 way. Do a search, there's even info on how to install the ""E-bay" intake under projects.

EDIT--You may also want to try buying the K&N Drop in filter (if you want K&N) and remove the air silencer in the airbox and it should give function/performance better the the stock fite. Do note that the ST engine is not a high performance engine so about the ony function/performance on a stock ST with either K&N Drop in, K&N FPIK, or the "E-Bay $30 bucks intake" you'll may just gain a few MPG.

These, for reasons unknown, have steadily gained in price. When I purchased mine on eBay from a seller in Florida, I paid no more than $170 shipped to my door. Earlier purchasers often hit $155-$160. At $210, you'd be better served purchasing an Explorer Express Intake, unless they, too, have jacked their prices.

Any of the aftermarket intakes will yield the same performance results...... All depends on the look you are going after.

I have the MAC, got it used for under 100 bucks from a site member. Dunno if I would drop 209 on a K&N. The MAC at EE for 159 or so is probably a better deal. The cheap ones for $30 off Ebay are probably a decent deal too, I went MAC because of my paranoia of super cheap Ebay autoparts......

Where are you going performance wise? Do you eventaully want to compliment the new intake with exhuast, chip, or other get-up-and-go mods?

If not, a good drop-in filter, with the air restrictor removed may be your best bet.

If so, a complete intake system, like the K&N, is a good idea. If you search around on here, you'll find several intakes, all function nearly the same, it just depends on what look you want to go for.

Go to E-Bay, the intakes run about 30-50 bucks depending on who you buy it from. Go to the project section and you'll find the following info from Dereck Fugate: Stay away from ebay seller KJMOTORING. If you do a search under posts seach for "Two thumbs up for THIS ebay intake!" and you'll get additional information.

Dereck got his from autobacs1, Below is a link to the kit I purchased from this seller .

N-E ways under projects you'll find the following:

Ebay Aftermarket Air Intake Kit Installation

This is for the ASpec Kit but should be adequate for most other kits as well)

By Derek Fugate 3/3/06

This project is for the installation of aftermarket air intake kits like the ones typically sold on ebay and probably other sources as well, designed for the Ford Sport Trac ‘01-‘05. These kits mimic the types of intakes sold by K&N & MAC but cost considerably less.

This project I will rate at a 2 Wrench rating. Only takes a couple of basic tools, a little bit of time, and a only a little bit of mechanical inclination. This subject has multiple projects written on it, if the answers you are looking for aren’t here try one of the others to see if it meets your needs better. At the writing of this project there is not a how too for these kits, and they typically do not ship with any either. (At least mine didn’t.)

Please use some common sense, and attempt this modification and project at your own risk!!

What you should get in the box:

Air filter element

Intake tube

MAF to air filter adapter

MAF to air filter adapter gasket

5 hose clamps

Two rubber-connecting grommets (The one pictured has the other two hose clamps for this particular kit attached to it.)

4 bolts, 4 nuts, 8 washers to connect the MAF to the air filter adapter

Vacuum line to replace the stock one

I was thinking the intake and a performance chip allthough not sure where to get the chip....any info greatly appreciated...

Bret:unsure::unsure:

Bret, again it's really up to you want you want to install (name brand or not) and want the engine bay of your ST to look. Since the ST is not a performance engine a high dollar intake is not going to be much if any differant then a K&N drop in with silence removed or the e-bay intakes. As for chips, you can get them from Jegs and other automotive sites. There may be few as well for sale on the swap and sell section on this site (just make sure the chip is burned for your computer code).

A chip and a intake (even with the ones from E-bay) will give ya moderate "performance". For a true performance and something IMO that would justify $150+ on an intake would be having the XCAL progam, modified trottle body, chip, and exhaust. The ST's engine is not going to do much without a proper "tune" and better "free flow" by trying to feed it "cold air" via a 150 + intake. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Bret, if you want the full bebfit from the intake I suggest you also install a less restrictive exhaust as well, you get more air in if you also let the exhaust out more effectively.

Or better yet, install the EE supercharger, X-cal2 with proper dyno-tuning, and a good exhaust... then you'll probably kick some performance you're looking for. Costwise??? $ 4500.00. Putting a grin on your face everytime you put the pedal to the metal.... Priceless :)

Bret, the money would be better spent on a good exhaust system first, then the intake filter.Without a good exhaust to let out the air,The input is not that great a gain. Ron