K&N Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Williams

Reaction score
Looking into buying a K&N filter system for my '05 Trac. All I see on the K&N site for the '05 is the square air filter replacement. Is there an FIPK for that year yet? Will any of this affect the performance or MPG of the ST or is it just "to sound better"? (In itself a valuable goal) From everything I've read on this excellent site, it seems that the air will flow better. Can someone tell me if this is a "worthwhile" investment. Changes yet to come: exhaust system and XCal.

Thanks

I bought the K& N for my 05, I told them it was an 04, it will fit. You get both, better gas mileage and a little more HP. Look in my library to see some of the mods i have. The Xcal is awesome, it is worth it 100%.

Duece

I contacted K&N about the kit for my 05. Here is the official response from them. Apparently they did not spend the money to have the 05's CARB certified.

Dear K&N Customer,

K&N intake systems are application-specific. Each intake kit is designed to fit a specific vehicle with a certain engine, within a specific range of model years. Intake kits do not cross over to other model year vehicles, to vehicles with similar body styles (Ford Explorer vs. Mercury Mountaineer), or to vehicles not specifically listed by year, make, model, and engine size in our application guide. If a kit is not listed specifically for your vehicle, it must be assumed that K&N does not offer a kit for that vehicle.

All K&N intake kit designs are submitted to the California Air Resources Board to apply for CARB exemption. Kits must be resubmitted to the board for each new application (vehicle model and model year) they are listed for. If exemption is granted, K&N will receive notice from CARB on average 9-12 months after the initial submission. Customers who register their product warranty cards will receive the CARB exemption decal for their kit automatically, as soon as they are available for K&N to send out.

We recommend using our online application search to check which products are offered for your vehicle. To search, please visit http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx and enter the year, make, model, and engine size of your vehicle. All products offered by K&N to fit this vehicle will be shown. If a specific type of part is not listed, it is not offered for this vehicle.

If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Support department at 1(800)858-3333.

Bottom Line....It will fit. I plan on buying one soon.

Rich

I put a K&N drop-in in the Ranger I had before, same engine as the Trac, and I didn't see any difference in performance or mpg. I think that smaller engines don't flow enough air that the stock paper filter is much of a restriction. If you use a K&N don't put too on much oil or it will foul the MAF sensor (that's the wire in the intake tube). It's easily cleaned but it's just a hassle to have to do it.

On the upside, you never have to buy another filter.

Latest posts