key pad

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
I purchased the instructions to get the code for my keypad on the door off of ebay. Worked like a charm. I cannot beleive what Ford wanted to do that. Just letting others know about it.

James

I believe the factory code is in your Trac in some location.? Behind seat or behind airbag? Manual gives you the reprogramming instructions.

Depends on the year, some have it near the glove box others, well i don't know where the others are but someone will chime in here

yea, I did not have the manuals, not the factory code. So, it is either behind the back seat or under the airbag, depending on the year. will be happy to share instructions if anyone needs them or I will make a project out of it, if anyone wants me to.

james

01 Job 1 is behind the back panel behind the bac seat on the keypad module. All others are on the module mounted behind the passengers air bag.

Is this the info you got from ebay or did it provide an electronic means to retrieve it??

My '04 has the module above the passenger airbag. I decided to just find it a few weeks ago and managed to do it in about 20 minutes. Unbolting the airbag, sliding it out, then unbolting the security module and leaning it forward to read off the top.

Happy I did it, but I definitely advise people to discharge their SRS system. Even with it discharged, I still treated the airbag with kid gloves.

The airbag will injure you if it goes off while you are looking for the number.

Sounds like a good thing to negotiate at the time of purchase of a used Trac. Provide me with the code or no sale.

Actually, I bought my Trac from a dealer about two hours from where I live (couldn't beat the price locally) and realized the keypad code wasn't in the manual like it was supposed to be. I called them about it and they said they would retrieve it for free if I came by with it. Needless to say, it was easier to just get it myself, then to drive a 4 hour round-tripper to get it.

James, they can plug in and read it with their equipment.

Sounds like they were lazy to me. And if they weren't lazy, then they didn't know what they were doing, I would not take it back for service....

01 Job 1 is behind the back panel behind the back seat on the keypad module. All others are on the module mounted behind the passengers air bag.

Is this the info you got from ebay or did it provide an electronic means to retrieve it??

Here is my post from above..

Yours will be behind the passengers air bag.

Derrick,

you would need to pull the passenger side airbag out and you will have a security module with the security code on it. Then you can program it from there. You need to becarefull when pulling the airbag, it can activate. There are only two bolts and one cable to be removed to pull it so it is not very hard. If you need further clarification just ask or email me at [email protected]

james

Prior to pulling the air bag, pull the airbag fuse from the driver side fuse panel and let it discharge for about a half hour. Then pull the air bag.

so i have a 2002 and as many of you i purchased it without a manual and when i took it in they said there was no way to "hook it up". i have been told that when they do "hook it up" there is a guy that goes through the vehicle to find it by hand. they charge you about $80 for this. i have also read (in this forum) that it is behind my passanger side airbag. i'm a tiny and not so handy girl when it comes to my car. help! lol.

Latest posts