Kid locks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
No matter which way I flip the switch in the door jamb, I can't seem to get the rear doors of my ST to open from the inside.

The outside handles work fine, so I think it's the kid safety locks that are causing it. Is there some trick to unlocking these?

It could be the inside door handles have sprung. It's actually quite common on the older Explorers, the Sport, and the Gen1 Sport Trac. The handles are the same from front to rear.

Thanks for the tip. Are they easy to replace?

Also, what would make them become "sprung?" I've had the truck for almost 10 years, but those handles are almost never used. Do they just wear out with time?

They have a cheap plastic notch that breaks. I had to replace both of my rear ones because of passengers pulling too hard. I don't believe they wear out, they just kind of become over stressed and then finally break.

It took me maybe 20 minutes to replace one. You have to remove the whole inner door panel, so that takes some time, but isn't difficult. Ones the door panel is removed, it's 3 screws if I remember correctly.

Latest posts