kohler engine sticking lifter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Got a sears rider with a Kohler 15 engine. I think one of the hydraulic lifters is sticking sometimes. Anyone have words of wisdom? It happened after an oil change. I had synthetic in it, and I put regular 10-30 in it. I ran the thing for a while, no problems. I shut it down, and when I restarted it, the thing started hammering. I changed the oil, ran it for a while and the hammering stopped. Yesterday it did it again. Am changing the oil back to synthetic tonight. I have heard that sometimes the type of oil really makes a difference in these engines.

Any small engine mechanics out there, I would appreciate some insight.

Thanks in advance

If it sounds like "Hammering" you probably have a collapsed hydraulic lifter and it needs to be cleaned or removed....assuming that the engine actually has hydraulic lifters? If it does have hydraulic lifters, then it must have a pressurized oil system and an oil pump. There may be a problem with the pump, pressure release valve, that is causing low oil pressure causing the lifter to callapse due to insufficient oil.

Most small engines use solid lifters and are prone to sporatically sticking. I know some newer small engines have switched to overhead valves and hydraulic lifters, and oil pumps, while older engines just used oil slingers to throw the oil around in the enigne for lubrication.

...Rich