Last tow question for real this time

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
Ok, I think I've got everything out of the way, I'm just debating now. Trailer break install happens tomorrow, confirmed trailer charge line, now I need your thoughts, experiences or pros/cons.

I'm debating on towing my parents 21ft Holiday Trailer, it weighs approximately 4200lbs wet and is 7ft wide. The drive is pretty flat, a few minor hills with an approximate distance of 180 miles. I've got the 4.6l and of course, trailer stabilizing bars, etc.

I've seen Astro vans and similar sizes pull the same size trailer, has anyone had this experience yet, or, what are your thoughts?

Well, isn't the V6 2007 rated at 5000 pounds towing?

I think you would be safe, assuming you aren't hauling dirt in the truck bed, and have your three 300 pound buddies in the truck with you.

Also, make sure nothing breaks tomorrow when you get your brake controller installed! ;)

If the trailer breaks, it may be hard to tow!

I tow a 22' Aerolite, 3800lbs, 7' wide all the time with a '03, 4x4, 4:10. Longest trip so far was about 500 miles one way, over flat and then some hills. No problem. You know it's there, but it's very doable. You should have no problem doing it.

I tow 5,000 pounds all the time with my V8 - no problems. Camper weighs 4200 but I load it up with lots of stuff.

Tip: To maximize gas mileage, don't use Cruise Control and of course, watch your speed.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'll post some pics and experiances, I'm going to try to hit a weight scale, I think the trailer may be over 4200.