LCD OR PLASMA ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Thurau

Reaction score
:D well i have been looking around, comparing and getting mixed results, so i figured who better than my club members for some advice !!!!! i love action movies, sci-fi, sports and nascar, so everyone what would you pic (im looking at 37 - 42 in)

LCD OR PLASMA ???????? :blink:

thanks everyone !!!! Doug

www.flattvpeople.com

Sony SXRD dude (an advanced form of LCD) ....checkitout....1080p hi-def all the way.

Plasma technology still hasn't mitigated the burn-in issue, even if it *has* improved, enough for me to fork over 1000s of $.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plasma, tilts the scales for me because it has arguably better "blacks", which are important for sci-fi and actions and an overall lower price when comparing same size to LCD. However, don't too quickly dismiss projection DLP screens. The choice of LCD vs Plasma vis DLP projection is, IMHO, largely one of budget and preference.

Also, make sure to go HD with 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio and not ED with 4:3 regular aspect ratio. And make sure it has both component and HDMI inputs. HDMI especially for the HD DVD player you will get in the next year or two.

TJR

If you are rolling in dough get the PLASMA. More expensive but brighter screen. Won't last as long and more susceptable to burn-in.

I prefer the LCD. less expensive, and if you view in a darkened room the addtional brightness of the Plasma not an issue.

IMO!

Just got a sony sxrd 50 in

They just lowered price

do not think you can do better for the buck on 50 in size

I do not think anyone on this forum can show me a better HDTV for the money.

I bought mine Direct from sony with 5 yr guarantee - just in case

If I could only buy the White Sport Trac - with chrome option -

But am having a nightmare of a time trying to get one the way I want it equipped.

Waited for job 2 - now after 8 weeks - Ford will not accept order from a Large Atlanta Dealer

So I can not drive around- but I can sit at home and watch a great HDTV (sony sxrd)

I've had a 42" JVC plasma for about 3 years. No problems with the screen or burn in. It has a built in random displacement to keep images from burning in. It is very difficult to see when it occurs but sometimes I can see the shift. I was skeptical about buying a plasma at first but I love it. I did purchase an extended warranty just in case. I also moved and it was shipped halfway around the world without probelms. It does put off some heat and occasionally it makes a chirping sound (not sure why). The receiver for mine is a seperate component. Standard Directv satellite shows great. The wife and I have only been to a movie theater once since we got it.

I have a 32" LCD(Sony) and a 42" plasma(Panasonic). I prefer the plasma overall, blacks are blacker, I can see pixels when real close but overall sharpness at 8-10 ft is better w/the plasma. I would definitely recommend getting the 42 over the 37- I thought my 42 was big last year now I'm thinking I could have gone w/ a 50. :cool:

I have a D-ILA (Direct-Drive Image Light Amplifier). The new DLP basically.

Side by side when I was shopping I found the picture crisper than DLP although not as sharp as plasma. I did not go plasma because around here we only have off-air HD for local channels and there is a constant logo in the corner. I didn't want to chance the burn-in.

www.jvc.com for more info.

grump

i heard the Sony sxrd was having black splottchy problems with the middle of their screens.

I have a 42 inch samsung plasma. I like the plasma better because you can see it the same, with great color from all angles. LCD's tend to loose something when not looking at them straight on.

I have a Dell 42" Plasma and couldnt be more happy with it. Had it for 2yrs now with no problems and no burn-in also. Movies look great via the HDMI input and the HDMI dvd player that came with the TV for free. The deal we got was too good to pass up over $700 in rebates, 10yr warrenty, free DVD player, free delivery and a host of others. Mine also puts off a good amount of heat but I've spliced 4 120mm pc fans to keep it cool and it does the trick with keeping a good amount of air flow.

PLASMA,,, 5th generation!! 26 year life span at 6 hours a day....i'm still very happy with my year old Samsung 42 inch HD plasma..

tom --- pong and atari are better on black and white old school tv's, that way yo get the real affect of being in the 70's....

troy

I have a Sanyo 37" Flat Screen with all of the component inputs. Ran thru DirecTV

digital cables, the picture quality is excellent!