leaking differential

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Thompson

Reaction score
noticed this weekend my diff (i belive is leaking). Just making sure that it is indeed my diff. there is an axle that comes out the back of it and it is cone shaped.

so it leaking where the two parts come together towards the front of the truck.

should this be fixed ASAP

From what you say I would think it is the pinon seal and yes it should be fixed. That is a easy fix seal about 10.00 and what ever the gear grease cost and you will be good to go good luck. Bill

My pinion seal leaked and was fixed under warranty. I took it to a dealership in Roswell, NM and they didn't have the part, so they said it was safe to drive back to OKC (8 hours on the highway). They said it would only leak fluid down to the level of the seal and if I didn't engage 4WD it wouldn't harm anything. I had it fixed in OKC a few days later and there were no issues afterwards.

Yes, on the drivers side there is a plug, IT take s a 3/8 ratchet, no socket... Remove the plug, put your finger in there if it has oil on it your fine, IF not it is low....

Todd Z

Latest posts