Lean Bank 2- Vacuum Elbow Finally Bit Me!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
With 62K on our '02 the wife came home from work Wed night saying the CEL was on, but the truck seemed to be running fine.

I plugged in my scanner and got the typical lean running code, so I cleared the code, fired up the engine and opened the hood.

I heard this nice sucking sound (kind of like the sound I hear from my wallet when I go to the hobby store or Best Buy) and immediately remembered all the posts on here about the elbow.

I removed the throttle body beauty cover and took a look with a flash light and low and behold there was the collapsed and cracked elbow, just like in Coastie's pictures...

I yanked the hose off and hopped in the Mustang to get to Advance/Discount auto parts before closing. Six bucks later for a 5/8-inch heater hose with a 90-degree turn in it and I was headed back home to make the repair.

All is fine now!

Where would we all be without this site? I mean, I would have eventually found the hose and fixed it in the same manner, but becuase I read it here previously I went right to it. My wife couldn't believe I walked in the door with the bad hose in my hand less than five minutes after I walked out to the garage to investigate the CEL!

Now it's time for fuel filter, plugs, and wires. She needs a little TLC.

Take care all!

Mark

Mark, hey, di yiu have to cut the old hose? I have the same problem, and went to the FORD dealer and bought one because I couldn't get a fit from Pep Boys or NAPA. Anyway, I got homre and attempted to install it and found that the old hose was kind of stubborn and wouldn't come off. So I voided it until I could get some help with it from someone that had done the switch. And BTW, did the hose you use have a larger opening on one end than the other? Oh yes, ha ha ha, even the dealership parts people couldn't say what type of hose it was. They had to come out and look at it! Oh well.....