LED 3rd Brake Light: Chrome disappearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got the smoke-tinted LED high-mount brake light, and I love it. Yesterday, I was climbing on the back of the Trac and noticed that the chrome on the bezel around the light appears to be disappearing. I'm assuming this is due to the weather. For now, it's not too noticable from the ground.

I've had the light for probably a year.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions on preventing it from getting worse? Anyone ever painted the bezel? I know there were members considering painting it black.

I honestly have no idea. I think I bought it on EBay over a year ago. I've emailed the seller to ask.

Paul, does the Recon smoked light have a chrome surround or a black surround? If its black, I might be interested in one, whats the price on them?

Dan,

The Recon light has a black surround, No chrome...

Aw man...I should have bought from Zabtek! Now I'm gonna have to do some painting! Another project for lazy Gary.

I wonder how black Sharpie would look on it?

You could try painting the bezel with a clear-coat paint. Since you did not say it was rusting or corroding, I suspect that the bezel is actually chrome plaited plastic and may not have been given the final clear-coat, or perhaps given too thin a coat.

Most people do not know that chrome is actually a clear metalic coating electroplated over nickel. What you actually are seeing is the nickel underneath and nickel will tarnish. The clear chrome coating prevents the nickel from oxidizing and keeps it shinny, silver and bright.

If you used any kind of abrasive or metal polish on it, that will accerate the degredation of the nickel finish underneath. A cleat paint will help slow the degridation of the finish.

...Rich

Plastic is very expensive to replate in single pieces. You could probably buy a bunch of replacements rather than get that piece replated. Your best bet would be to paint it with clear coat. If you opt to buy a new one, I would clear coat that new one before i put it on the truck and expose it to the elements or the same think will happen.

...Rich

Latest posts