LED Headlamp bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
Has anyone tried LED headlamp bulbs in their Gen. 1 'Trac? I am interested in trying them, using the regular reflector headlamp housings, but I am curious if anyone has tried them and found them beneficial. From what I can find in my research LED's are a better choice in a reflector style housing, and HID is better in a projector style.

Thoughts?

I always thought it was hokey as hell that they have little fans attached to the backs of them. I have supply of Silverstars that I bought on ebay for $5 a pair, so I'm using those until they burn out.

LED headlight bulbs must be 3500 lumens per bulb to equal the light output of a standard halogen bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, I am running Silverstars myself. I like the color of them, and I am happy with the output. I tried the SS Ultras, and while the color is "cool" I do believe the actual usable light is less, so I switched to just the Silverstars and am happy with them. Except for their life, which as you know is relatively short.. This is why I am considering LED's.

The biggest improvement I have made though is to replace the housings. Mine had not only yellowed on the outside, but had actually developed spider cracks on the inside. I did not realize the cracks were so bad on the inside until I polished the outside. I bought a set from Rockauto and they have made a very nice difference in output coupled with the SS bulbs.