Left on the table? ECM reflashing. AWD Disable?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So I've been working with a high performance shop in Lake Placid, NY called Moon Performance. They have an AWD Mustang Dyno.

My truck won't fit on it unless there is some way I can disable the AWD. I can't do so electronically.

My first question:

Does anyone know of a way I can safely disable the AWD for a 1 or 2 hour drive and a 3 WOT Dyno pulls?

My second question:

How much is left on the table with these "mail order" ECM reflashes? My local tuner is telling me that unless you do a Dyno run in an area with similar elevation you can lose a large amount of power. I want the maximum amount of power I can get for my area! If I plan on driving around the country I can switch to a different tune with more "room" for change.

Ok ,

Yes you can disable the awd but the traction control will kick back in at 30 MPH...... So you would need the AWD dyno that has adjustable rollers so the front tires can still spinn....

I believe you could disable the traction control with fuse pulling and some connectors under the truck by the transfer case....

The tunes you get from the tuners on this site come with extra tweaks and stuff designed for the sport trac.....

The other thing I have done is get the tune in the truck... Drive it for a week or two.... Then use the data log function and record some 0-60MPH WOT runs... Send that info to the tuner and he can adjust the tune for the conditions you recorded....

The people in these business just don't want you to know it can be done easily..... WHY ???

DYNO tuning is Well over $500 + ....

All about money..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The plan is to have a Downpipe and high flow cat installed the same day it gets Dyno tuned.

For Christmas I got her a catback exhaust system and a high flow filter. There is no need on the WRX to put a short ram intake on unles syour pushing over 350hp at the wheels. She won't be!

Her mods so far (none installed yet):

K&N drop in filter

Stromung 2.5" Dual tip AxleBack Exhaust

Stromung 2.5" Itermediate pipe (resonator delete)

If her desire and our budget permits, these will be the next mods:

Cobb Downpipe w/ high flow cat

Moon Performance Dyno tuned & reflashed ECM.

That'll be it for her car. All the above should bump her up to within 10hp (give or take) from 300whp with 93 octane fuel.

The fuel grade is actually the one big problem with doing the DP and the ECM tune. Those mods require she always use 93 octane. That's really expensive when 87 is $4 a gal. It isn't right now but it could be. When it's super high we can get by better by alternating tanks of 93 and 87 octane fuel in her car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you use an xcal3 ? Have a 93 performance and an 87 performance for those mods. 87 performance when you need to save gas $$.

Latest posts