Lensatic compass...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Poole

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

Was going through all of my army stuff and dug out my LBE(load bearing equipment) and found my army compass in the first aid pouch where I had placed it while I was in the gulf back in 1991. Well I flipped it open and the needle no longer moves, I think the fluid is all gone...what would be a good thing to replace it with. I noticed that there are 4 screws in the back. Yes I realize that with smartphones and GPS, compasses arn't as critical as before. I am a bit old school and still would like to use it and teach my son how to navigate cross country without a GPS.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

I would fill it with a very light weight silicone oil. I used to fill sensative gauges on the job.

Robert,

Not to step on Eddie's toes, and he may be right, but I could not find anything on the Internet regarding the type of fluid to use in the compass. The fluid is only used as a dampener to keep the needle from bouncing around. Most compasses will still work without the fluid, but some will not...and it appears that you have the kind that requires the fluid.

My concern is how the fluid got out, and where to put it back in? I suspect that you may have to send it back to the manufacturer for repairs?

...Richard

RL and Robert..

If you see no signs of leakage. It is possible it was an alcohol based fluid. I dont remember the name of it. Been retired from instrumentation for 6yrs. I have used that also. It evaporates with time even sealed. Purpose is so se fluid doesnt get thick and slugish in cold weather. Some of our local readings had to be very acurate.But needed a dampening fluid. In the winter some operators, were breaking gauges. They would bang on them to verify needle movement.LOL

Doesnt the military compass have a removable back?

hi Y'all

It seems to be a removable back, I will check into this. I work at an airline, I'm sure there is a gauge shop here at Delta, I can ask one of those guys about that.

thanks a bunch!!

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Latest posts