Let the swap begin.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csamuels

Reaction score
Well.....

Have the old 361K mile engine out, and the new reman one ready to go back in.....

Along with having the trans rebuilt.

Pulled the valve cover on the old engine.....clean as new....Changed the oil every 3 to 5k mile with Pennsoil....

[Broken External Image]:

Thats a lot of miles on the old motor. Nice seeing that after reading all the tension and chain horror stories lately.

What was the reason for the swap?

That is an amazing amount of miles. Did you have any timing chain noise during those miles? Did you ever have to replace the hydraulic tensioners or chains/cassettes? (This gives me hope for my Job 1 with 129,000 miles.)

Good question.Did you have any timing chain or tensioner issues?What brand and weight oil did you use?

Never have any timing chain issues..........some noise, but never anything I worried about. (I never paid attention to the postings, ignorance is bliss)

I have not had to open up the motor. I had to do the normal repairs....2 water pumps, thermostat housing, and I hate to admit it, but never changed the trans fluid. I meant to at 100k, but the miles got to 130k and I decided to just ride it out.

I drove the truck about 3k to 4k miles a month for business between the end of 2003 and the summer of 2007.

I have always used Pennzoil and motorcraft oil filters. I tried to change the oil every 3k - 5k miles

Last edited by a moderator:
@EddieS'04

Nice to have place to do the work...

Yeah, if Carls' married, I bet it's also where he eats, watches NASCAR races, has friends over for some beers and sleeps in his ST while the wife has the main house all to herself.:grin:

We (me, my wife, and the BANK) actually own a Collision Repair shop outside of Louisville KY (in southern Indiana).

http://swcollisioncenter.com

So....yes, it has made it alot easier to due the swap......

To answer the question.....I spent about $2500.00 for the engine, $850.00 for the trans, and other items (injectors, plugs, hoses, misc) in the $500.00 range.

I have about 30hrs.(along with another guys help) invested so far, which includes cleaning parts that are being reused.

Engine & Trans is back in, now just trying to put all the other stuff back on to get it running.......