License plate removal help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08Red STA

Reaction score
I saw the project write up on front license plate removal, but mine is pretty stubborn. I tried to remove it, but it aint budging. I gave it quite the tug and am scared to pull any harder. Anyone have a similar issue and have a solution? Should I just pull harder and pray?

Are you talking about the 3 for the mounting bracket/plate?

I had no problem @ all. . . from behind the bumper, I cut the three "barbs" off with a knife or wire cutters (I don't remember which).

It was effortless really.

I wouldn't just pull it if I were you. Those things are really only meant to go through one way and you could possibly ruin the bumper

I figured I ruined the chance of re-attaching it by cutting the barbs, but considering I don't plan on using it, its really no big deal. If I do ever change my mind it can't cost too much for a factory replacement or a universal one. . . . personally, I'd rather buy a new mount than a new bumper:D

So you can access the rear of it to cut them? I didnt really look other than my inital tugging. Ill check that out too then. Thanks

Remove it the way I did:

1) Park in front of a snow bank at work.

2) Pull too far forward, pushing your front bumper into the snow.

3) When the snow melts, have your employer's landscaper find the plate and return it to you.

4) Drive around for 3+ years with the license plate on the floor of your back seat--handy enough for if a cop ever tries to cite you for not having one, you can pull it out and say that it "just" came off, and you haven't had a chance to reattach it yet.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well oddly enough, a few weeks ago we had a several thunderstorm. Lots of flooding. Anywho, I went thru a dip in the road @ about 20 mph and when I hit the standing water it was like a car wreck. It jolted me forward and all but stopped the truck. When I got home I noticed the entire bumped had shifted downward, to the point where the sides connect up under the headlights was poking out. It took some effort, but I popped everything back into place. And wouldnt u know it, that darn license plate bracket is holding strong. Go figure!