Lights are on, but nobody's home! Need help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tig OBit

Reaction score
Went out to my truck this morning and it would not start. The hedalights work, the radio, overhead lights, everything else. But it would not even try to crank. I just got nothing. So, I don't think it's the battery, and the guys at the fire station thought it would be the starter. I have no clue, but will be taking it in Monday. Anybody have any ideas? Starter? Is that covered un the Ford ESP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I turned on the headlights and tried cranking it and got nothing, but the headlights didn't dim either. Does that mean anything? The battery is 3-1/2 years old and is original. Do you think I should try changing that first. If that's not it then I would be about ready for a new battery anyway right?

I had the same problem a few months ago. I also had the same origional battery but after they changed the battery the problem continued. It is time for a new battery and FORD will cover it under warrenty. The other problem i had was the alternator. They went through 2 in my truck. If the lights work and the radio works than the battery has enough juice to power that but it is not giving it enough to power the car. Sounds like it could be the alternator

ok, so I'll go out and pick up a new battery today, throw it in and see what happens. If it drains quickly I probably have an alternator problem. Any batteries you guys would suggest. I know the optima is preferred. But what about between duralast or diehard, etc...?

Thanks

Two things, Try another key, Does the theft light blink as you turn the key??... Do you have any alarms??

Second, you can have some one tap the starter with a small hammer or pipe as you turn the key to see if it is the starter.. If while tapping the truck starts, there is your problem...

Todd Z

We did try tapping on the starter while trying to start and got no response. I do have a Viper alarm but it's been in for about three years and have never had a problem with the PATS.

Did you try jump starting it???

If that doesn't work I would say the battery is still good...

Do you have a performance chip??

Todd Z

I bought a new battery and it did absolutely nothing. I get nothing when I turn the key. I called Ford roadside assistance and they towed it to the dealership today for no charge. I ddin't know that that service was still provided under the extended warranty. So... I'll find out tomorrow what the problem is.

With a premium ESP you get the works, You could have even requested a loaner car...

KEEP us posted..

Todd Z

Most common problem for not starting is the battery. I would look there first. Check the voltage with a meter. If you have less than 12.5V you probably dont have enough power to activate the starter solenoid.

Another possibility is there is a loose connection in the steering column and if you move the tilt steering wheel up or down and it starts, then you need more slack in the wiring harness since the whell movement is pulling the connector appart.

...Rich

could be theft. Exact thing happened to mine, and finally i thought about my alarm. So i set and unset it and bingo, my car was able to start again.

Boodro