Limited Slip Diff- Practical to add one?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
I've got a '01 4X4 ST and the only real complaint I have is that the rear wheels lose traction easily on wet pavement, particularly when trying to accelerate into traffic uphill. (Which I have to do several times a day.)

I didn't opt for the limited slip when I bought it because I figured I could always just flip on 4X4 Hi to get more traction. I don't mind doing that when it's pouring and I'm pounding through puddles, but when it's just drizzling a limited slip would be more convenient.

Is is possible/practical to add one? What kind of cost am I looking at to do so?

You could go with a powertrax unit. Not really that hard to install. Next truck I get will be ordered without a LSD and I will install a Powertrax.

Tom

Still have the original Goodyears on. I've had the truck for 4+ years, but it's only got 33K on it, so I haven't had to replace them yet.

I've seen a lot of debate about the tires on this site. Are they really that bad?

I was thinking of doing the TT & Shackle Lift this summer and changing out the tires at that point to get something a little larger to put a bit more rubber on the road. Do you think that will make a big difference?

I could be way off, but I thought that the lightweight composite bed might be a factor in the rear slippage. Not as much weight on the rear tires, less pressure against the pavement, etc...

The front/back weight ratio is not the same for the Trac as it is for most pickups. The stock Goodyears just have horrible wet pavement traction. I replaced mine with 17,000 miles on them because I got tires of sliding through intersections on left-hand turns. The Yokohama Geolanders have treated me well.:)

I agree with Caymen. In fact, I've got a unit ready for installation later this year. If you want full traction, check into a Powertrax. It'll give you the benefits of a locker, but without the harsh engagements, and the tire chirping around corners. When you take off, it creates a tension that allows the unit to lock two axles together to provide traction at both wheels. When you let off the gas, the tension is released, the axles unlock from each other, and can turn independantly for smooth cornering and such.

The unit for the ST costs around $420 not counting labor. I looked over the instructions, and I plan on installing it myself. The unit you would need would be a Ford 8.8 inch rear end with 31 splines.

I watched "Trucks!" a while back. They did a Powertrax installation. It is very simple.

Tom

Piro - I agree with those that say the tires need to go. When I switched out the goodyears to Toyo Open Country A/T's I no longer had any traction issues. There are many other brands and types of tires that people on this site have switched to and they all claim way better wet traction then the goodyears. Another option is to have your goodyears siped. This will allow for them to give you better traction. Richard L (a member here) had this done and was happy with the results.

Limited slips are less than $200.00.

Keep in mind that with a limited slip, or any locking differential that locks under power, when one rear tire spins, so does the other and the going can get squirrelly. It's not really a big deal, but it may not help you much on an uphill in the rain any more than less acceleration will.

Since the Powertrax uses gears and not clutches, IT can make tire noise in turns....

Todd Z

Hey Larry,

I visited the Powertrax web site you provided the link to. Did you buy one of the Ford 8.8 Installation Kits, or did you piece-part it out? If you bought one of the kits, which one did you get - the Complete Kit, the Mega Kit, or the Half Kit?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with my original Goodyears with around 30K miles on them. I bought Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, and the issue has never returned. I already have limited slip, so installing that will not compensate for bad tires.