Location to tap low beams

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering where I should tap into the low beam for my Hella lamps and the wire color? Where is the easiest location to tap it? I'm running the green wire from the switch and the only place I could think to run it to was the low/high beams. Suggestions?

I would suggest you do it via a relay that carries a separate fuse. You can still tap into the low beam to activate the relay. If you go direct, you will put a pretty large load on the low beam system. The fuse may support it but just barley if so.

Also, you stand a chance of hurting the circuit if you tap direct into the low beams without using a relay.

Could get expensive if you fry some wire or the multi-function switch in the column for example...

I probably did the forbiden thing. I cut my fog light wires and re-routed the existing switch and wires to my new lights on my safari bar. Then I didn't have to add a new switch. Then I ran my factory fog lights up to the left and right signal light power but not the signal portion of it. The fog lights won't flash this way. If you turn your bright lights on then the fog lights (or new Hella lights) would click off so I found the relay that controls that function under the hood lower right side. I then bent back the relay part if it. It took some research and digging but it can be done. Now I can have my bright lights, fog lights, and safari bar lights all on at the same time. Some may think this is a power issue but I've had it done for years now and also did it on my 95' Ranger. Let me know if you need help or want me to take pictures of what I did.

Cory, I would never go against anyone here that would say to use a relay or anything because it is the correct way to do it. On my old Toyota I tapped my driving lights into the side marker parking lights (not the turnsignal wires) without a relay and had it that way for years without problems. (it was nice that way because then they would work in the "parking light position" for driving on rainy days instead of turning all my lights on and also stay on in high/low beam)I'm not saying to do it that way, but it can be done at your own risk. If I had to do it I probably would do it again without the relay just because I'm hardheaded and won't learn until I burn something important out. I'm a rebel like that!:lol:;)

I should have mentioned that I am using the relay provided by Hella. All the wires have been run and the only one I have left to connect is the green wire that runs from the switch and taps into the low/high beams.

What I need help with is figuring out which wire is for the low beams. And where is the best (by best I mean easiest) place to tap into the low beams. Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of slack directly behind either headlight.

Cory,

Try tapping the headlight wire just under the fuse panel (the one at the end of the dash) instead of going all the way up to the headlights. I powered my auxiliary driving lights (with a relay) to come on with the high beams that way. I don't remember the exact fuse position, but the owner's manual will probably help you find it.

Good luck.

Cory,

After checking the Owner's Manual and the wiring diagram in my DVD Service Manual, the low beams appear to powered from two different 10A fuses (#38 for the left headlight, and #42 for the right headlight) located in the Battery Junction Box (it's called the Power Distribution Box on page 168 in the Owner's Manual).

The high beam wires are light green w/ a black stripe coming out of fuse #33 in the Central Junction Box (the interior fuse panel located on the left side of the dash). That's where I tapped off for power to my driving-lights relay.

I haven't looked yet to see how accessible the wires are coming from the Power Distribution Box under the hood (on the inside wall of the driver's side fender), but according to the wiring diagram the one connected to fuse #38 is a 20 gauge wire colored WH/LG, and the one connected to fuse #42 is also a 20 gauge wire colored DB/LG. I assume WH/LG is white w/ a light green stripe, and DB/LG is dark blue w/ a light green stripe. I can't think what other color DB might be, if not dark blue.

Hope this helps. Good luck.