Location to tap parking lamp wire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
I need to re-wire my Hella Driving Lamps (which I've been putting off for over a month) and I have decided to wire them to the parking lamps so they work independently from the high/low beams. Where is a good (I mean easiest) location to tap the wire and what does the wire look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using a relay??? I don't think the factory parking lamp circuit wire and fuse) can handel the load of the hellas...

The easiest place would be the low beam of you headlight, or the factory fog. Only reason i say this is if you tap the corner light bulb, it will blink when you tun on your directional..

Todd Z

Todd, I know what you are saying but isn't there a side marker lamp that stays on and a seperate lamp for the turn signal? I did the same thing with a set of driving lamps for my Toyota P/U and had no problems. I just had to find the wire to the lamp that stayed on when the switch on and not the one that blinked when the turnsignal was on. I never really paid attention to my vehicle when outside of it with the lights on. Not saying he shouldn't still use a relay if he's using those lights, just saying it is possible. God only knows I wouldn't argue with you Todd on something like this!!!:lol:;)

Stone, You can use the side marker light on the st, just have to get the low side not the blinker side, BUT i am stressing using a relay to be safe...

Todd Z

Yes I am using a relay, the one provided by Hella in the 500 series driving lamps.

I tried wiring them without the relay (after many headaches trying to use it), running it diectly to the switch which probabaly wasn't a good idea. They worked for a while, then I blew the fuse attached to the power wire so I figured it was too much of a load for the switch/fuse.

I got some new fuses and am attempting to hook everything up again. Unless you have previous electrical wiring experience it isn't all that easy. Sure the diagram seems simple enough but it hasn't been a simple project for me, but it's probably just me.

For those of you who tapped into the low beam, where exactly did you tap it? I'll keep you updated on my progress because I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Last edited by a moderator: