looking for a new mower

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
what's your opinions on zero turn mowers? Just kind of fantasizing for now, but in the next couple years, I would like to upgrade to a bigger mower, maybe zero turn type. I have 1 and 1/2 acres to mow, my 42" Craftsman rider takes forever to get it done. What's your thoughts on Dixie Choppers vs JD, and what do you think I should expect to pay for a mower like this? Don't need a $10,000 commercial grade mower, obviously something meant for residential use.

Friend of mine has a John Deere Commercial series mower with a 26HP engine and the 7-guage "7-iron" deck. That thing gives me wood everytime I see it. I swear that deck wouldn't bend even if it hits something strong and bolted to the center of the Earth at 12MPH.

I have a Gravely 18 HP Kawasaki water cooled 60" cut, an early model, but in the grass cutting field it kicks my Cub Cadets azz! It won't do all my Cadet will but it does what it's designed to do superbly. A good friend has a new Scag 20 HP Kohler air cooled 60" (or close) cut and it will run circles around my Gravely. If I were to upgrade to a new model it would be a Scag with a Kohler. Scag offers several engine choices and different models.

A zero turn mower for that large of an area is gonna run you some coin. We have a Walker GHS. If you look you can find good deals on used ones.

I really like our Country Clipper Edge XLT. Still enjoy getting on the old JD rider, though. At 20+ years old it still gets the job done even though it burns a little oil. Katie won't ride the zero turn.

I agree with l1tech,

Those zero-turn mowers are really nice, but very expensive. I remember back about 10-12 years ago I was looking at the smallest zero-turn mower available for my 1/2 acre lot, and it was nearly $4000. I imagine that the same mower would cost $5000-$6000 or even more today...so you can imagine what one of those bigger mowers would cost now.

Yes, I was fantasizing too....but the price tag snapped me back to reality..:grin: I ended up buying a 30", 11 HP, electric start, Murray riding mower that costs about $500. My new house has a much smaller yard and I use a lawn care service....it's well worth the money, and beats the heck out of any mower...:grin:

PS: Update: Wow, was I suprised!! I just did a quick check online for new Zero-Turn mowers and see that they are priced from about $2700 to $12,000. I guess their popularity has allowed the manufacturers to reduce prices?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
A zero turn for a 1/2 acre lot :bwahaha: You could do that with a weedeater :grin:

They ARE expensive and I wouldn't have one if I had to buy a new one. A relative bought a new one and I bought his old one. Commercial grade, homeowner used.:supercool:

2c5ce945d0b5bed06495c1afa314962e.jpg

Latest posts