Loose drivers side door handle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Rice

Reaction score
Noticed that my drivers side door handle seems to be loose on the Trac. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Do I need to take the door panel off and just tighten some bolts or screws?

Inside or outside ???

Todd Z

That thing is all plastic, It is bolted to the door, Hopefully it is just loose and not broken or worn out......

Take off the door panel, remove the moisture barrier and take a looksey....

there are projects on removing the door panels in the projects section, Or the speaker install projects...

Todd Z

If it's anything like the problem I have (had) on mine, one or both of the springs that pull the handle back into place are broken. Ford doesn't sell just the springs so you are left with replacing the handle if it bothers you that much. You have to drill out the rivets that hold it in then use a heavy duty riveter with 1/4" rivets to replace.

FYI, along with the loose handle, my door latch was shot as well. A spring inside of it broke as well. Not hard to replace, just time consuming. Ford wanted $350. I did it for $30. You'll need the riveter for that job too, after you get the lock actuator out of the way.

Justin

Mine did the same thing. There's also a small coil spring in the latch mechanism itself that you can see without taking the door panel off. Good luck if it ends up being this one, it's a pain in the a**. If you can't tell, just look at the other door and see if it looks the same.

Mine was loose for a long time and just recently it broke off. The part that broke was one of the plastic arms that connect the handle to the inside of the door. It Cost about $300 to get if fixed. The price includes the part, paint and the labor.

Last edited by a moderator: