Loose Windshield Wiper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Robida

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Maybe someone can help me with my 2001 Sport Trac. 2nd build I believe. December 2000.

I just noticed this morning that my passenger side windshield wiper hits the trim on the bottom of the windshield when it's in the down position. Since purchase, it has been at least 2 inches from the bottom of the winshield. I'm sure because I've always thought it was too high.

I took off the wiper arm to find that the splines on the post look fine. Not stripped.

There is play when I twist the post by hand. For reference, the driver's side post has virtually no play.

Does anyone know what's involved with tightening this up? Is it a loose screw or do I need to replace something?

Thanks for any advice,

Todd Robida

Todd,

There are a bunch of ball and sockets in that "transmission". Remove the plastic trim under the arms and see if any are loose or where the play is coming from...

I think there is a project in the projects section on how to remove the plastic trim....

Todd Z

Todd,

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't find any projects on this or anything in the forums, but this gives me something to go on.

Thanks,

Todd Robida

Todd

There is really no adjusments to be made other than positioning on the splines.

Both blades run off the same shaft on the motor and run on simple bronze bearings, the pass side may be worn..

To remove the pass side cowl, remove the blade assy, remove the washer hose under the hood and pull up on the cowl (is held in place with clips) but you still have no adjustments of any sort..

Mine (03) do's the same thing, my suggestion is to adust the blade so it clears the trim.

The factory setting is 1.92 in. above the trim at rest (just about 2 in.)

Would live with it, is not a small job to remove the motor Etc.

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try to remove the trim and check to see when the play is coming from. I'd prefer to fix it so that I don't get stuck in rainstorm with no passenger side wiper. Probably won't happen, but I hate to chance it.

Todd Robida

Todd, i have never looked at the ST's wiper arm configuration, but on an old junker chevy I had, there was the same issue. A nylon bushing on one of the ball sockets was worn out. i strapped some zipties around it to hold it tight and drove it for three years. just an idea, your mileage may vary.