loud air noise when driving

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian D

Reaction score
HI guys, I have a problem and a question. My problem with my truck is when I am pressing down on the gas pedal from a stop it sounds like the engine is working way to hard. A loud air noise. When I am driving I can quickly press down on the pedal and hear it. It does not seem to be effecting how the truck drives or speeds up. Brought it to Ford and was told that it is 'normal clutch fan operation'. How can it be normal if it was never there in the first place.

My question is what else could it be? Could it really be the fan clutch? Will this bring more trouble to my truck down the road? She is an 03 with 85K on her. I do mostly hwy driving.

Any help would be great

THanks

Brian D

Can you here it when in park and slightly accelerate on the pedal?

If so, you can isolate the clutch fan.

If you can not spin the fan freely then the clutch fan is defective.

First BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!.

That said, it is pretty easy. I have done this hundreds of times on hundreds of vehicles. The clutch fan is designed to slip. So let the engine run a minute to get the clutch fan up to temp, this will make it easier to hold. Turn of the engine. In most cases you can easily hold one of the blades near the tip with your finger from the top of the engine. No matter where you can get access, keep in mind you have a belt and other spinning items. Stay clear of them.

If you feel better about it, use some pliers to hold the blade. That way your fingers will not be so vulnerable in the event you slip off. The fan is easy to hold though so don't freak out.

Simply hold a blade, have someone start the engine, give it a little gas. Is the noise there or gone? Still there, clutch fan is not the issue. Gone, clutch fan is the issue....