Loud fan noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I know there was a recent post regarding a loud noise - what seems like a fan turning - when starting off.

I got that noise from time to time in the past but lately, it's about 40% of the time.

When starting off - it sounds like the fan is spinning at the highest speed - very loud sort of wind noise. Other then that annoying noise, the truck runs fine.

It's happening more often and it's starting to worry me.

Anyone know what it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy, Your 2007 has an electric fan clutch for the belt driven radiator fan. In the warmer months this is probably normal, especially if you have your AC on.

Dave - yes (warmer months) and yes (A/C on).

I live in South Florida where it's been brutal this summer. Had the truck for three years and it's NEVER been like this before - just this summer.

Could this be a sign of something coming in repairs?

Like I said, it runs fine but it sounds like I'm racing the thing when in fact, I drive like an old lady.

Mine occasionally does the same thing on start up. As soon as I start driving, it stops. You might want to check the temp. sensor, it might be starting to go bad. BC

Is this something I can change?

I'd hate to go to a dealer if it's something that I can change and doesn't cost too much.

Welcome to my world!

This is the third summer now (Houston, Texas) that I've had to deal with this issue.

I've had it into Ford half a dozen times & still no fix . . .

The last time I was in I had a chance to speak with the tech & he said he knew exactly what it was & how to fix it.

He replaced the pulley ( I can't remember if it's grooved or not grooved, but he said that is why this happens) & he replaced the fan clutch.

The next day my fan was roaring again

:angry:

Here is where we last left off with my last post:

Kevin,

I remember now - I posted the 1st reply to your post.

The noise is definitely getting worse and more frequent. It's very loud and has only started happening this summer - the 1st two years nothing like this happened.

With the explanation presented in your other post regarding the engine needing extra cooling, and losing power, I'm worried about towing during the summer months.

Fortunately, I don't usually tow this time of year but I just bought an ATV and we'll be going riding this coming Saturday - towing it about two hours north. Just the ATV in the back of my truck with some misc gear about 700 pounds. Additionally, on Labor Day weekend, we'll be going camping and bringing the ATV as well. I'll have to see what happens then - it's expected to be hot as hell and it'll be about a 5 hour tow - in each direction. Camper, ATV and gear - about 5,000 pounds total.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, it ran LOUD 1/2 the way to work this morning - 80 degrees outside and it started when I started the truck. Ran LOUD for a few miles.

I then went to Dunkin to get my coffee and it ran LOUD from that point on - for another 5 minutes till I got to work.

More frequently - grrrrr. :banghead:

A fan that is locking up more frequently than it should is an indication of one of 2 things. Either the engine is running hotter than it used to or the fan itself is going bad.

Latest posts