Loud noise / tranny or DIFF problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
Well yesterday morning i put my St in to drive and it wouldn't move, even though i had the 4x4 engage.... then i kept on stepping on the gas then it made a loud bang then take off ..this morning i had it running for about 10 mins then i drove off it mad a clunking noise,, i know it's been about 8,9 Degrees here in the morning for the past 2 days prior to that it never made those noises. Is it the tranny or my differential. Because yesterday morning it sounded like when my wife Diff blew out in her Titan:unsure:

You message is a little confusing.

You had the 4x4 system engaged? Was there snow on the ground? Think you destroyed your front driveshaft because you bound up the 4x4 system?

Tom

Sounds like a bound-up differential. Either that or water from the last time you drove the truck seeped in and froze it up. I used to have a Jeep Cherokee that would stick in neutral when switching into 4WD and something similar happened - all of a sudden it would engage and torque all four wheels at the same time. Damn near gave me whiplash the first time it happened.

Either that or water from the last time you drove the truck seeped in and froze it up. I used to have a Jeep Cherokee that would stick in neutral

Well my wife took it to the car wash on thursday. And Tom their was snow on the ground

Did you look under it afterwards to see if anything broke loose? If you did break a driveshaft (as Tom suggested), it may be hanging.

BTW: It's never a good idea to wash a car in single digit temps unless you plan to keep on driving it or you have a garage. Also, you should never go through a car wash immediately after driving it for long distances because the spray on only one side of the brake rotors will cause them to cool unevenly and warp.

I'm voting for emergency/parking brake stuck/frozen. I have had this happen to me, after you release the parking brake and go it will take some gas to move then a bang/pop. Just my 2 cents.

I'm voting for emergency/parking brake stuck/frozen.
This has happened to me from only rain (something about shoe swelling). I found that it is easier to use reverse first, then drive forward.