Loudest clunk from a 4X4.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian K 2

Reaction score
I tried the 4X4 auto shift this morning....I was sitting still just wanted to go through the switch. I have had 3 other auto lock hubs before this one. Do the Tracs normally clunk very loud? I mean this was loud and I could feel the vibration all the way in the seat. I bought the Trac 2 weeks ago....the underside looked brand new. If the previous owner used 4 wheel drive he didn't use it much. My 02 Expedition is whisper quiet when shifting. Thanks

Did you disengage it and re engage it??

The owners manual says a loud clunk is normal.

Todd Z

Yeah I went back and forth -slowly- 3 times with the knob. I understand about some noise but this thing is loud! Kinda like the truck shakes when shifting. The loudest one I have ever had.....You need to say its gets better. The previous owner never used it and the shift assembly a little stiff. Got it? :lol:

BK, sure, what you said the last time!!:lol: Mine has done it a couple of times this winter. No problems here. I have used it quite a few times and it only did it two or three times and only when I was sitting still. Once when I put it in and once when I took it out.;)

I have a clunk in 4X4 High and a louder clunk in 4X4 Low, I think it is normal, since I bought mine new and have used 4X4 an average of once a month. I figure I have driven 500 miles in 4X4 since buying my truck in Oct '04.

Tracs do not have auto hubs. They are always locked in just like all '95+ Explorers. '98-early '00 Rangers had vacuum operated hubs which proved to be unreliable, so they went to the always live hubs in '00 on Rangers also.