low battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be a bad battery! Just because the battery is only 2 years old does not make it exempt from failure. I have had new and expensive batteries die in 8 months.

You need to have your battery tested to be sure it can hold a charge and does not have any weak or dead cells and that your alternator is charging. You can do this yourself if you have a multi-meter, but you can get your battery tested free at most autoparts stores like AutoZone, etc. They will also check your alternator output to insure it is charging the battery.

If your battery and charging system check out OK, then you can start trying to figure out if something else is draining your battery.

...Rich

In the old days, I would shut everything off and then start pulling fuses 'till I found one that sparked. that was the one that had a short.

IMO all batteries suck nowdays. I keep switching brands. But every 5 yr battery I buy quits at 3yrs and 6months. I need one now. Advance Gold series. I used to by AZ, they lastested, now they all died after the free replacment. Looks like the advance is doing the same as AZ, interstate, sears, etc.

I might try an AGM, just need to decide what brand.

Eddie,

I don't think that battery brand makes much difference anymore. Back about 15 years ago, the EPA reduced the allowable limits of lead that could be used in lead-acid batteries....and since then, battery life sunk to a new all-time low!

I used to always get 6+ years out of my batteries....Now I am lucky if the battery dies before the new car warranty is up. My 2003 Sport Trac's battery died just before the 36K mile warranty expired. I jump started the truck and drove it to the dealer with only 11 miles left on the warranty.....but I got a brand new battery FREE ! :grin:

....Rich

I've been buying the Wal-Mart Everstart Maxx batteries for vehicles for a few years now. They're reasonably price, have a three year warranty, and are actually made by the same company that makes many of the top name brand batteries, Johnson Controls. They've served me well, with no problems thus far.

TrainTrac,

Sounds like it might be a good battery, but I don't take much stock in Battery Warranties. Because they are almost always pro-rated which makes them about as worthless as the paper they are written on...same applies to most tire warranties.

The price you pay initially is always some discounted price, but if the battery dies they will pro-rate the months left on the warranty, and that is discounted from the inflated MSRP that nobody every pays. These pro-rated warranties are simply a gimmick to get you to come back to them and spend more money...and they make a hefty profit on the original battery you purchased and the pro-rated replacement....often times you can just buy the same battery at the original discounted price than the pro-rated warranty price. That's a trick they like to pull on women and other unsuspecting customers who think that they are getting a deal because it's covered under the warranty.

Sometimes you will actually see a Battery Warranty that has a free replacement clause for the first year or perhaps 2 years...That is usually a better good deal.

In the case of my 2003 Sport Trac, Ford guaranteed the battery as part of the original new car warranty, so I got a free replacement with only 11 miles left on the warranty.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

Your right. I have had stores try to pro-rate a battery, for the same price or almost the same price. If I just bought a new battery out-right.

When they pulled that crap on me. I walked away letting them know, I will buy else-where.

I dont think name brand batteries are made by johnson controls any longer.

At one time I use to get almost 5yrs or more from AZ 5yr gold batteries. No longer. The last good AZ gold I had was. Bought in 1998 for my '94 stang. It lasted almost 8yrs.

I think I will do as you say. Buy the middle level battery, with the best price.

Something else I have noticed, is. The date of manufacture, use to be stamped in the battery caseing. Nowdays it is a sticker that can be pulled off and replaced.

Latest posts