low sounding noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diana Aguilar

Reaction score
whenever I go 20 mph there is a low sounding noise, it is like i am suddenly aware i have tires in the front of the truck.

the service attendent said he would check the brakes . a friend of mine told me to have them check the front wheel bearings and repack them. the attendant said they do no such thing anymore. so what should i do now? My truck is currently at the dealers shop. d:eek:

If you have a 4WD, the bearings are sealed. They could be bad, the dealer can check them, but they can't repack them, only replace them.

If you have a 2004 and it is under warranty, you now wait for them to say it's fixed, you verify, and if not return it to them. Were you at least able to get them to hear the "noise" you were speaking of?

If it is a 4x4, then the entire wheel hub is replaced when the bearings go bad. I had to do this on mine. The 2wd version has replaceable bearings I believe though...

Cupped tires.

Rotate and the noise should change, but you won't get rid of it untill you replace the tires.

I got the truck back from the dealership shop and they told me I needed to get new tires. They said the bearings were fine. they gave me a quote on four goodyear -wrangler rt/s p255/70R16 tires, $1053

I am going to shop around tomorrow. I have never bought tires before, but these just sounded too expensive. thanks, I was glad to read your responses.:rolleyes:

DO NOT GET ANOTHER SET OF WRANGLER RT/S TIRES. I'd rather buy Cooper tires than that tire again.

You can get very nice tires for around $100 per tire, installed balanced and all that jazz. You'll be getting many recommendations from this site very soon.

You should be deciding what type of ride you want from your Trac... comfortable and quiet, a big knobbly set of off road pavement chewers which make that trademark snow tire sound all the way down the street, or something in-between.

I went with Pirelli Scorpion STRa tires at around $126 each installed, because I was looking for a good highway all-season with excellent wet traction, comfort and quietness were a must since I do more highway and city driving than off-road. These tires have done well on and somewhat off road. I did not want another off-road tire.

A high end example would be a GoodYear Fortera Triple Tread at $150 for the tire alone.

In the off-roading segment, I believe the popular tires here are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos.

I have seen good reviews on Michelin LTX's and some others as well... check out the link below and do some research, it helped me lots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just travel on highway, to and fro work...so what tires should I get? I wouldn't know cooper tires from a Gary Cooper! I'll be shopping tomorrow.d:blink:

d,

$1053 for four tires!!!! This guy needs to be taken to the local vet and FIXED!!!

That is ridiculous! And Yes, stay away from the Goodyears at all costs. I have the

Wranglers on my '05 with 19,000 miles, and they are causing all sorts of headaches

and making all sorts of noises. Michelins are a bit more expensive, but well worth it

in my opion.i've also had good luck with a brand called Falken. Low cost, good quality,

and some DARN nice looking sidewalls and tread patterns.

Check out their website...:)