Lower Shock Mount Bolt Specs (rear)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have the specs for the rear lower shock mount bolts? I replaced 3 out of 4 shocks yesterday with Rancho RS5000's, but my rear passenger-side lower shock mount bolt is rusted solid. After many hours using PB Blaster, a breaker bar, and every bit of my patience, I got the nut broken loose (and by "broken" I mean that it broke into pieces). The bolt is still in there and will not hammer out, though it will turn.

My plan is to go to Lowe's today and get replacements for both rear lower shock bolts, since the other one had some rust on it, too. I know the head is 15mm, the nut is (was) 18mm, the hole in the shock is approximately 1/2in across (probably 12mm), and the bolt is about 3in long (probably 75mm). Rancho included replacement hardware for every other bolt I would need EXCEPT the lower shock mounts, of course.

I appreciate any assistance you guys can provide. Thanks!

Forget Lowes. That bolt needs to be a grade 8 (or metric equivalent) for strength. You never know what grade bolt you are buying at Lowes. A parts store is your best bet if you don't want to go to a dealer.

I found a Dorman 31001 universal shock mount kit for $5.99 at O'Reilly's. Does anyone have any experience with these? I will also try the Ford dealership when they open up in 30 minutes.

Go with what you can find @ orielys, for shocks. The dealer will charge triple.

I still have 2 mom and pop hardware stores. They stock metrics and grade 8.

If you do also, I find the prices fair. Plus I can buy only what I need. No kit or packaged amount, like lowes or HD.

HAHAH, Mine snapped off last weekend !!!! I just used a new bolt, washer, lock washer.... Tightened them till Tight with my impact gun...

Todd Z

The Dorman or NAPA kit is for 91-94 Explorer front lower shock stud repair. They are studs with different size threads on each end. Do what Todd Z did and find replacement hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowe's Sears Hardware, and Home Depot sometimes have grade 8 in metric.

But if the bolt has a specific shoulder then you might want to buy the dealer part.

Lowe's Sears Hardware, and Home Depot sometimes have grade 8 in metric.

But if the bolt has a specific shoulder then you might want to buy the dealer part.

The universal Dorman kit uses 1/2" diameter bolt so that is what I went to the hardware store to buy. I got two Grade 8 bolts, 4 flat washers, 2 lock washers, and 2 nuts for less than $5. The bolts fit the bracket just fine but they did not fit the sleeve in the bushing of the shock (which is probably why Dorman includes bushings with their kit).

I removed the good bolt and took it into NAPA this morning for a true 12mm 10.9 (the metric version of Grade 8) replacement. I've got nearly identical looking metric bolts now and can hopefully finish this project up tonight.

For future reference the bolts I got are 10.9 M12x1.75x70.

Last edited by a moderator: