Made it back! two problems though

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Caldwell

Reaction score
We finally made it back from louisville, took the long way home. I have two problems one the belt squeaks when the truck is revved over 4500 rpm, The belt is only 35,000 miles old so that plus a search leads me to believe its the idler pulley. Also it sounds like the fan up front will not shut off no matter how hot or cold the motor or ambient temperature is. Any thoughts on those two?

I would like to thank Caymen for allowing us to stay the night at his house.

I am 99% sure squeaking belt is caused by the tensioner. We had that issue with Dad's Taurus.

What fan are you talking about? The fan for the engine? It is belt driven, it never shuts off.

Tom

Glad your home ok !!!.

Cool that Caymen helped you out....

It could the the belt is stretched, Go with the smaller one and see how that does for you, But inspect the pulleys forst...

The clutch fan is a viscus clutch that is thermostatically controlled, the clutch on it may be bad...

Todd Z

Forgot to add, the pleasure was mine. It was nice having you and Darcy stay with us.

Hopefully we were proper hosts.

Tom

Mike, glad that you made it home alright and those are the only problems you had.It was nice to meet ya'll. When you said the long way it made me think of your gps, sending you in circles again hahahaha._Ron

Glad y'all made it home alright. Can't wait to see y'all next year.

On that note, I'd say it's the idler pulley if you haven't had a/c or power issues. The belt itself could be the culprit, though. Can you post close-up pics of the belt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike it was very nice to meet you both! Very happy you guys made it back ok! We thought of you as we traveled back to AZ and then back to PA. Hope to see you at the next meet! :D

No a/c and no power issues. I'l post a pic of the belt tonight when I really start to dig into the problem. Thanks, GM It was really nice to meet everyone. Ron no driving in circles this time, there is only one highway in Canada that takes you west so that made it easy.