MAF Mod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott farmer

Reaction score
Years ago when I was only able to fantisize about owning a trac, I was searching for mods online and found one about shortening the airhorn/sensor housing inside the MAF.

I'm guessing that since it's not posted here it didn't work.

Has anyone tried installing the stock airhorn/sensor in a larger housing

Theoretically it is possible. There was a guy with a Ranger I read about, with a smaller engine, who shortened his and had no problems, but when he tried it on his ranger with the 4.0, it did not work and he had to shell out about $200 to Ford for a new one.

Wayne is currently working with C&L to carry, I believe, 73mm MAFS units, and last time I talked to him on the phone, he said it should only be another few weeks, so just check in here for updates from him. I've already got my money ready to send off to him, lol.

I'v done it to my Ranger, but it's only a 3.0. The 3.0 and the 4.0 use the same MAS sensor itself, but the MAF housing of the 3.0 is quite a bit smaller, and the sensor blocks a lot of airflow. On the 4.0, there is a lot more room and almost no air is blocked. I've seen people do it to 4.0's before with no problems, but the benefit, which is minimal, and the cost of replacement, which can be quite a bit, really don't cross each other out.

All you need it a larger body and your STOCK sensor...

You could simply get 3 inch ID PVC and drill a hole, make a pad for the factory sensor to seal on and you have an upgraded Maf...

ALL the C&L one is is simply a larger ID over the stock one...

THE stock one is 3 inch id at the ends BUT squeezes down to about 2.5 inches in the middle...

Todd Z

Serious as a heart attack.....

Just need something to make a flat pad so the o ring on the sensor can seal in and something for it to screw into...

Can even cut off the top half of the stock sensor housing and epoxy it to the PVC...

Todd Z

Well damn, I think I found my next performance mod as well...even though my TB is restrictive. OR shoot, I could use a stock 4.0 MAF and still be leaps and bounds over my dinky 3.0 MAF.

I think the hard part is making the PVC look like somethign other then PVC. Spray paint would help...maybe some of that new metalizer paint to make it look like black chrome...hmmmm

Performance mods 3: hacked up stock air box, hacked up stock exhuast, and PVC MAF....

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, do I smell a project Trav? Start working on it, please, so I don't have to screw up a bunch a times and you can figure all the hard stuff out.

Yeah Travis you get to do all of Jeff's dirty work. Seems a little "ghetto" rigged IMO.. but hey if it works awesome! lol

Wait ""ghetto" rigged"? You mean like your tail lights that I bought and had to fix, or your 22" rim with no center cap? I think it could look as good as the C&L, and now I have a challenge...before tomorrow night, I will have at least attempted, and probably go through 2-3 feet of pipe, to make one. I just don't know what size pvc is available at HD, but I shall find out.

Wouldn't be the first, or last, thing ghetto rigged on my truck. You never did see my bungee cord battery tie down....it's why I always keep my hood closed.

I used to have a bungee cord battery tie down. It was black, and you really couldn't tell. Then Wayne wedged something along the base of the battery and now it doesn't move.

Well your wheel works, just looks ghetto...just like my front 2 til I get some spacers. I think Ima get some 1.5" ones for the rear and move the 1.25" ones to the front.

I would take a piece of 3 inch PVC and cut it about 5 inches long or so... Remove the burs and taper the edges ....

Then take a square chunk of plastic about 1.5" by 1.5" by 1/4 to 3/8 thick...

bevel the bottom of the chunk to fit the curve of the pipe in the middle and attach with PVC cement or epoxy..... Let cure...

Then drill the size hole needed for the Maf o ring to seal and then drill the screw holes.. Assemble and there you go......

Just make sure the sensor faces the correct direction....

Todd Z