Massive Coolant System Failure (Leak Found)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey All,

Well, on the way home from work tonight, after fixing the wife's flat tire, my ST decided to let out a smoke/steam screen the highway. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was steaming badly. I was about a mile away from home when I saw the temp guage start to climb. That was when I pulled into the parking lot of a nearby park, about mile away from home. I popped the hood and it had the sweet smell of antifreeze. Because I was at the park, there wasn't much light, and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. So, I called a tow truck and he towed it home for me. I have it home and in the driveway now and was hoping for some help.

First off, the antifreeze is EVERYWHERE in the engine bay. It is mostly on the driver's side, but there is so much of it, I can't find the source. I suspect it may be the radiator cap because there is a lot of fluid from there on back. (covering the battery and everything else) Could it be the cap? If the cap fails somehow, is this how it happens, by spraying it all over the engine bay?

Any responses or information is greatly appreciated. I am going to head back out and take a look. I will also take a few pics to hopefully narrow the search.

BTW: I have a 2001 with 163,500 miles.

Thanks,

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the upper hose, bypass hose, lower hose, pap, or even radiator.

Without being able to look at it myself, it is hard to say.

Tom

Best info from me. Is to wash it all down clean. Refill the system and start it in daylight. It sounds as if you will be able to find what is blown out.

Thanks Tom,

I have a few pics that will hopefully help. The hose on the passenger side is dry and so is the bypass hose.

The lower hose is drenched, but is still connected and I don't see any cracks or breaks. I hope it isn't the radiator itself. I will post the pics and keep looking. Thanks for the quick response Tom.

Top of radiator

169b10e5df0c0c00c026aab868c43bef.jpg

All that is wet with coolant on top.

6697dafc6d6421d8b5166fae4e667309.jpg

Underneath

22930760477813e6ee425d92eca48f19.jpg

Lowerhose

01df364350f97c74af1486f3ebd92ff7.jpg

Thanks again for any responses. I am going to head back out and take a look. Thanks again for all the help. I have loved this site and had it is my home page for over 8 years.

Tommy

Your best bet is to wait until morning and fire it up and look for the leak.

I wish I lived closer. I wish there was more I could do.

Tom

Thanks for the responses.

Bill, That is nuts! It looks a lot cleaner than mine though LOL.

Thanks again Tom. I appreciate your kindness. If you were closer, my Seahawks tickets for Sunday would be yours.

As for me, I work 2 jobs and have to be at the 2nd one tomorrow morning. I am going to give it a shot tonight. I am gonna run out and get some coolant.

How should I do it? Should I fill it with coolant and then run it till it leaks and find it that way?

Thanks,

Tommy

Just use water to pinpoint the leak. You already know it's going to end up on the ground.

After the repair, refill with antifreeze. Pretty sure BB would agree. Good Luck.

WOW ! Eddie's TELEPATHIC !!! :lol:

"Beat me" by THREE seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses everybody. Well, I found the leak. I filled with water and after about a gallon and a half, I heard some dripping. I looked underneath and saw a bunch of water flowing down, but I couldn't figure out where. Sure enough, I traced it back to where the coolant enters the engine. It was flowing very freely and at a high volume. I have never seen one, but my first thought was a cracked block. But after getting the right angle in the light, the leaking part looks like a place that would have a thermostat in it. So, I took a few pics for this post. I saw Rodger's response and talk about a "Bingo" moment. Here are some pics. It is from where I saw the leak and zooming out.

bf75be9ed9399394287b084d78d11941.jpg

9bb64983e8504f9c9af770b728369111.jpg

55eca56aee7535b7a70c1525b03eea70.jpg

So, it looks as though this will be the project for the weekend. How hard is this to replace? It looks buried under a bunch of stuff. On the "wrench scale" on the projects section, I am about a 2-3 wrenches. Is this something I can do, or should I let the pros deal with it?

Thanks for all the help from everybody. I appreciate all of it.

Tommy

Tommy,

From your pictures and description, it looks like the thermostat housing is the culprit. Others have had the same problem. Check out the project linked below. It may help you.

From some of your pics. Your coolant hoses, look very old. Have you ever replaced them. Also when you replace the T-stat housing. Replace the small by pass hose.

If you are good wrenching. You can do it your self. You will need 1/4 drive extensions and a swivel. You will have to remove the throttle body, for access.