Master's Degree

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
Here is a question I have been pondering... would you pursue a Master's Degree if you could do it for free? Being a veteran, I can use the WI GI Bill to basically get it for no cost. However, I don't need it for my job, would get no extra raise. I would be doing it simply for the challenge of it and to say I did it. Is that a poor reason for pursuing it? I know I should be talking to a college counselor, but the computer is on my lap so....

In my case I had a job/position that was very valuable to me and that I wanted to do the rest of my life. I had to make the same choice as you. I choose to use the time, that I would have spend studying in school, to study for my present job and gain specific training and experience that would help me in the future I wanted. It worked for me and at retirement I still had VA schooling "expired" on the shelf. That said, if I could have done both I would have.

In the end, just make a decision and never regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a coincidence....I just (60 minutes ago) finished work on my BS for Information Systems. I also didn't "need" it, but with the Post-9/11 GI Bill and tuition assistance from my company, not only was it free, I actually made money.

It sure can't hurt if I ever need to job hunt and I have the satisfaction of finally getting my degree.

freeport,

Without know what you do for a living now, I would still say that a Master's Degree can never hurt anyone's resume.

You may be happy with your current job, but the economy can change and your company may decide to downsize or have a dramatic downturn in business? You might even be injured in an accident an can no longer do your current job. What's the harm in having a backup plan. A Master's Degree may not seem significant now, but it could be much more valuable in the future even if the Degree is in the same career field or something completely different.

You may be young and strong now but life happens and your youth will fade and you may see a day come when you are not up to doing the same job, or you want advancement and more pay. A Master's Degree opens a lot of door, especially if you get your degree in field that can easily transport those skills to other fields. Business, Finance, IT, Networking, Communications are fields that continue to be adaptable to all businesses even if you have a physical disability.

Do it now while you still have the energy...it gets much harder as you get older.

...Rich

regarding my job... I am a recently promoted Lieutenant on a full-time fire dept, going on 13 years with this dept. Not too worried about losing my job, lots of guys under me and there are always going to be fires. Part of me thinks...why not? It's free and I have the time while I'm sitting around in the firehouse. Another part thinks....why go to all the hassle, mental anguish for something that won't get me more money and is not required to do my job. I think more than anything it would be the satisfaction of actually achieving such a level as a Master's Degree.

freeport,

You may think your job is secure, but we all know that politicians make bad decisions and have to close down some fire stations or layoff some firefighters. Also,k your work is dangerous and you could be injured to the extent that you cannot continue to work as a firefighter. I know the fire department has a great retirement/disability plan....but again, all of that is subject to the whims of the politicians.

Never assume that you can't loose your job, or that you don't need the education to keep your job or to advance. I believe in the philosophy that you should not put all your eggs in one basket, and always have a Plan "B".

Even if you stay a firefighter for life, you never know when you will get too old to do the job and a Master's Degree will help you to continue up in the ranks to Captain or even Chief. A Master's Degree in Business or Political Science fields might be just the ticket to move you to the front of the line and allow you to stay in the field you obviously love.

Since you have a lot of down time between fire calls, you have the time and you are in the perfect position to work to get that degree.

I got my Bachelors degree in Business while I was in the US Army. I worked in my Army job all day long and then went to classes in the evenings and on Saturdays for nearly 2 years. It was pretty tough at times because I had to go to different campuses to take required classes I could not get locally. About the only time I had with my wife and family was on Sunday. Had I waited just a few more years, I doubt would have had the time nor the energy to do it..

Do it now while you have the energy and the time. :supercool:

....Rich

As they say "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

Since it will not cost you anything other than your time, you can't lose...IMO!

If you have the time, I'm with everyone else--go for it.

But if you have other things which you will need to spend less time on to pursue this--family, current job, sleep, whatever--weigh that in to your decision carefully...

If you missed this opportunity and it may never knock again, would you regret not doing it?

Ditto. And many have regrets not pursuing it , myself included. :sad:

I got my Master's degree way back when, paid for by my employer and they did value it but not by giving me more pay.

I say go for it. It looks good on a resume, and no learning is worthless.

"No learning is worthless"

I once took a college course in "sliderule". In retrospect I would have been better off going to a bar. Of course it would have come in handy if I had gone to work for NASA in the 60's.

:haveabeer:

all excellent advice. sure makes me wonder...if it's free, I have the time, my twins are in school all day, why the heck shouldn't I? lots of good advice, thank you

First, an advanced education is invaluable. Just because your boss or job says it's not needed, whats to say a better job out there might? Could it be your boss would feel that his job is in jepardy(sp) if you had a better education than him? He may be trying to keep you below him for whatever reason. With each level of education achieved, new doors are opened to you. Get the Master's, get the better job and get the trophy girl, the car, the house. It goes on ad infinitum. Bob

Do yu have a choice as to what you study? I would think about getting a Master's degree in an area that sounds interesting to you, or in an area that supports your main occupation that sounds interesting. Yes, it will be a lot of work, but it goes by fast. Also, you will meet others and make some friends and relationships who you can cocommersate working and studying all the time.

I earned two masters degrees- both were paid for by employers. The Masters degree in Management probably didn't help me a whole lot $-wise, but the Masters in Public Administration helped me nail a promotion at work (state government).

If you can handle school, go for it!

Latest posts