Maybe coming back to a Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Hale

Reaction score
Hey all, have not been here since 2006, joined on '02.

I have had 3 Sport Trac's, a Ranger, Explorer, a VERY unfortunate time with a Dodge Caliber, and currently have an 08' Fusion SEL Sport.

Well, my fiance and I are both looking to get new cars. She is probably going to get an '10 Fusion, and even though I have about a year and a half left on my lease, the dealership is willing to buy my car for about exactly what I owe Ford Credit, sooooo...

I am torn. I have wanted a Sport Trac Adrenalin since I first saw the revision to them. And I want one in Red so bad I can't even tell you. But I am torn between that, and a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport 3.5L AWD. I got to drive that thing for a weekend, and it was a blast.

We just recently moved to Kansas, so its just my fiance and I out here, and the one problem I have with getting a Fusion, aside from it not being an ST, is both of us having Fusions is good on gas, but not when we have to move something, since we know only a few people around here currently, and none with trucks.

My ST payment would be close to $100 more than a Fusion Sport payment, with my A Plan included, but I so want an ST.

What do you guys think would be a better choice?

Also, does the ST Adrenalin, 2010, not have any backup warning sensors? I can live without them I am sure, my last 3 didn't have them, but it would be nice to have them because I now park in a parking garage, and generally back in, it has low walls and makes judging the distance in a Fusion hard, can't imagine with the ST's short bed.

Ah well, I am leaning so hard on seeing if a Sport Trac will work, its probably not even much of a decision unless the dealership pulls the rug out and tells me the monthly cost is more than I think, just wanted to get more opinions.

You know what we are all going to say, right? Get the ST!

Ok, I admit the Fushion would probably be fun, too, but get her the Sport 3.5L AWD and switch off once in a while.

Whats up Derek,

My opinion is that you need to choose a vehicle that makes you excited to drive to work and back. For me personally, the whole thing about getting up for work in the morning is made more bearable knowing that I have a slick little truck out there waiting for me. And I can't wait for 4:00 because I walk out of the office and hop into my ST.

It sounds to me like the extra $100/month for the Sport Trac is worth it to you. Ultimately, you knew what people's opinions were going to lean towards when you logged onto the Sport Trac site and started typing your thread. So stop trying to convince yourself that this is the right choice and BUY IT ALREADY! You only live once!

You can always buy a back-up camera and install it so that it is subtle, like a lot of members here have. Just do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of helpful info on that.

If the STA is gonna make you happy everyday, then go for it! It is nice to have the truck feature when u need it, plus sporty look when you dont need it!

Plus aftermarket back-up camera are fairly resonable priced, even if its just until you are comfortable with parking again.

My in-laws have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, nice car, great on gas, but I wouldnt give up my ST for it!!

Good luck~

Sondra

Ah come on, get the STA. :wub:

My '07 didn't come with backup sensors, and don't know if those are available. If sensors are a must, then check out this site. I bought the Hitch-Scan over 2 years ago, and it works great. Got it at the dealer.

Welcome back . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to drive my broke down smelly old 01 Ford Taurus. I drove that stank butt car for 2 years till it finally died. During those two years, my wife drove my trac....into the ground. Now, we got her a subie and I got my old green gal back. Now, I look forward to my 2 hour commute. I cleaned her, polished her, putting in a new stereo, making her my glorious trick little truck again. I get to look down into other peoples cars in traffic again, I don't stare at the lug nuts of eightwheelers anymore..... I'M SO FREAKIN HAPPY TO BE BACK IN MY SPORT TRAC. GET THE TRAC, GET THE TRAC.

Aww... give a second chance. Try ANOTHER Dodge Caliber. :lol:

Kidding aside. "ONCE YOU OWN A TRAC, YOU CAN'T GO BACK" (And YOU know it's true)

Besides that, 2010 WILL BE YOUR LAST CHANCE TO BUY A NEW ONE ! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2010 STA (my 4th ST) is supposed to be here next week. Can't wait, but have to.

I ordered the back up sensors on the 08 ST limited, but they are not even an option on the STA. The 2010 Edge Limited I have on order has them. I wish they were standard on all of them.

The red STA is super sharp, I ordered the Bright Silver Metallic. Go for it!!!!

Rod

STA would sure be more useful. You can add back up sensors for very little. I wanted them on my 08, but to install the factory version requires an entirely new wiring harness for the ST. Too expensive. So, I found one online for about $50. Decided it was worth a try. Turns out it was easy to install and it does exactly what I need. Works great when backing into spaces, etc. It can chirp a bit with false alarms on very rough pavement or gravel roads, but you definitely know when something is really there and you can easily back it to within about 6" based on the tones. I do not remember the brand off the top of my head, but there are many, just google it.

Picking between the Fusion Sport and the Adrenalin is a little difficult given their respective pros and cons. They are both nice looking rides too. But if I already had a Fusion in the driveway, I'd look no further buying a second one...especially when the Adrenalin is an option!

But maybe a good compromise between the two choices would be a crossover such as the Edge. It gives better mileage than the Adrenalin, probably rides better, and provides flat loading area. Visual refresh and Ecoboost is on the way for it too. Maybe wait for what the new Explorer will look like also.

Thanks all, yeah I knew which way most would be heading on this website, why do you think I asked here. :)

We are going in to the dealership tonight. They only have a Black STA in stock there, but its otherwise perfect. They would have to make me a really good deal though, because although I like black, my heart is so set on red.

I agree with Les. Maybe order or they can find you a red one.

IMO, me personaly. Im not happy unless I get what my "heart" is set on.

The good price only applied if I wasnt mind set.

If you want red...order it. Black is nice but you will spend a lot of time washing it. Red doesn't really show water spots after it rains.

Call down to AC Collins Ford in Pasadena (NO, NOT California's Pasadena!) Texas, and see if they still have an STA in Whiite Suede and if they do, BUY IT! That is the sexiest color in the 2009 colors (NOT in the 2010MY, BTW!) for the STA. I wanted to buy that one but some credit issues nixed it! So I am passing along my vote for you to BUY THE STA now!!! I will explain the reason to your better half !:lol: She will hate me but love your decision!!!:banana:

Just kidding about explaining it to your wife though, so no serious pun intended!