MAZDA 3 - Opinions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My girlfriend is thinking about purchasing a 2010 Mazda 3. The dealership is offering 0% financing for up to 36 months and she is currently in a great financial situation. So, now is a good time for her to buy a new car, especially since her '97 Honda Civic is falling apart beneath her. I don't even like going in her car, fearing for my own safety, so I certainly don't like HER driving it.

Anyway, I'd prefer she choose to buy the hatchback (5 door) version of the car, but shes not sure what she would want. I think she's leaning towards the 4 door sedan-style variant.

Have any of you had experiences with the new Mazda 3s? What about previous Mazda 3s? Anything noteworthy about Mazda in general that I may not already know? All the reviews I've found on this vehicle have been positive, so I'm trying to find something wrong with it, otherwise I may be forced to pick one up for myself after unloading the trac! (thats a joke - it wouldn't happen)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

sweet jesus, I thought that second was a lot larger when I downloaded it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an RX-7 back in the day, excellent car. My step-daughter currently has an RX-8, loves the car and it hasn't had any problems.

Isnt the Mazda 3 on the same chassis and drivetrain as the Ford Focus? I know the Focus is no longer made in the 5 door, 2007 was the last year because we had one. (2007) It was a good car, and gave very good mileage. 28-30 combined, and 34 or so for all hiway. Tight suspension, great handling, and good pickup from the 2.0 DOHC 4. We only traded it to get a bigger car.

My son had one (hatch) for 4 years! LOVED IT absolutely no problems, mucho power, and comfortable. The new ones are even better (they say)

The Mazda3 is on the European version Focus chassis. It just doesn't have the sweet 2.5L 5 cylinder option that they have over there. About this time next year, the 2012 Focus comes out on an all-new global platform. It will be available in a 4 door sedan or a 5 door hatch to start, with the 3 door and wagon possibly returning later. It should have the 2.0L Duratec as the base engine. They are supposed to be offering a 1.6L EcoBoost (turbocharged) engine as well. There is also an electric version in the works.

I have an 05 mazda 3 HB, 2.3L 5 speed & LOVE IT. Same chassis as the focus but TOTALLY different car as far as I know. Handling, road manners mpg, fit and finish are well above the focus IMO. I drove a ZX3 (05 or 06) when considering my 3, and it was a POS. My 3 is a DD, gets low to mid 30's mpg (mostly hwy), no matter how i drive it, hard/fun or grandpa style, good HP/weight ratio, (peppy), comfy on long trips, room for luggage, dogs, etc. Can actually carry 4 adults but I wouldn't want to ride in the back seat myself. Took my 3 to PA from ETN last year on vacation, ave 35 mpg, 2 adults & luggage, we were never tired or felt beat up at the end of the day whether interstate or 2 lane roads. Total miles on the trip was ~1800 miles. The suspension on the 3 is great for mountain roads, but rides smooth on interstate. The speed 3 is turbo, some have problems, especially if you run it hard. My profile has a pic of the 3.

I don't care for the "big smile" on the 2010, I would buy another if they get rid of the smiley face.

good info jimp,

im not too fond of the "big smile" either, but I have to admit, the look of the car grows on me the more I stare at it.

Of course she wants the Celestial Blue colour - same as the image above - because its "cute" (rolls eyes).

Yeah, jimp, the US-spec Focus isn't nearly as nice as the Mazda3 or any of the Euro-spec versions in its current form. The 3 and the Volvo C30 are currently the closest things here to the European Focus. You can even buy the European Focus ST in Mexico, but not in the US.

I had a 2007 Mazda 3, 4-door hatch. Bought it new, had it for a year and loved it. No problems at all. Decent all-around gas mileage. Good head room for a smaller car in the back seat for adults. I've I hadn't gotten the itch for an '08 Mustang GT I would have kept it. Fairly comfortable on long trips, good stock sound system. I think the reliability is still good. Good luck with your decision.

I drive an 06 3 hatchback auto as my daily driver. Have had it for 1 1/2 years, no issues. Great on gas and fun to drive (not as much fun as my trac).

My wife has a 2006 Mazda 3, but not the hatchback. we love it. Mazda is a good car and the dealerships are usually pretty good to with their service and such. Also, if you have the opportunity to get an X plan number, you can use that to purchase a Mazda as they are affiliated with Ford. We used Xplan to purchase my wifes 3 and got a little better price.

I own a 2007 Focus, I have driven Mazda 3 rentals often...Mazda 3 is head and shoulders better in interior finish, ride, handling, and road noise isolation than the Ford Focus (which my older son pronounces with a U sound instead of an O sound).

Mazda is more expensive, but if you buy one you get to say "zoom, zoom" as you drive it, so you've got that going for you...

Mazda 3...GREAT CAR, of course YMMV.

TJR

Bought my daughter an 04 Mazda 3 hatchback and it's still runs perfect. I paid $15,000 for it back then (manual tranny). Don't know what new ones cost. It's quick, gets great gas mileage and has enough room in it for hauling stuff around. She couldn't be happier with it.

They have always been rated high by Consumer Reports and other publications.