Mechanical Oil Presure gauge Intallation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well a few weeks ago i was feed up with the dummy gauge so i bought a cheap gauge with tubing for about $26.00 dollars. i ran it through the fender and door jam made a small indentation in the the weather striping Picture of installation will be posted later

That is great joshaha, I don't really trust the on/off gauge. I am looking forward to the pictures.

Ed

Your going to want to rethink the routing. You do not want the line in your door jamb as it will get disturbed every time you open and close the door, eventually it will break and it will probably do it while you are driving and pump oil everywhere. I would run it through the firewall somewhere. If need be drill a small hole in the firewall and put a rubber grommet in it so the line does not rub on the metal.

I agree with L1tech,

Routing the pressure tube through the door is not a good thing to do. I would go through the Firewall, or find and existing opening in the fire wall (other wires) and squeeze the tube throught the opening.

I also would not use a mechanical guage. In the past, mechanical guages were always more accurate than electric gauges, and you always have to have a sending unit that matches the gauge. Now days, electronic gauges have come a long way and are far more accurate than they once were.

...Rich

Routing any liquid mechanical gauge INSIDE the car is a bad idea. That line breaks and your covered in oil, coolant, fuel Ect.

Go electric, or get an isolator and install that.

Todd Z

I have always gone electric. First electric I used was in the '70s. I think it was SW.

Nowdays the transducers and gauges, are very accurate and dependable...As Rich said...

Correction to my previous post...I meant to say that electrical gauges require a sending unit and thus cost more than mechanical, but are well worth the slightly extra cost.

The last mechanical gauge I ever installed was an oil pressure gauge on my 1965 GTO. I had to add a "T" fitting off the existing idiot light sending unit but back then, most eletric gauges were not that accurate or reliable, but still expensive. I installed one of those chrome 3 gauge clusters under the dash, that included Temp, Oil Pressure, and Amp gauge. I'm sure most of you over 40 will remember them...:grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when do oil pressure gauges pump oil in the hose? I have installed tons of them on race boats. They change the barometric pressure in the tube. They are really air pressure gauges.

e_toftenMember Profile,6/11/2014 20:01 MT

Since when do oil pressure gauges pump oil in the hose? I have installed tons of them on race boats. They change the barometric pressure in the tube. They are really air pressure gauges.

You are correct, right up to the point when a hole develops in the line. When that happens there is no more air pressure to stop the oil from traveling up the line and spurting about like a nicked jugular.

Well i running it through the door jam temporary time until i find a more permanent mounting in the dash the reason i choose mechanical is because where i live where temperature is a big factor and what my father and uncle found was that in 110 degree weather the mechanical was more accurate Sorry for not posting my whole plan

Oil pressure gauges do not have pumps, and they cannot pump oil anywhere.

Oil pressure gauges do not have the capacity to change barometric pressure.

Oil pressure gauges do not measure barometric pressure, but rather they measure the DIFFERENCE between the pressure exerted by the engine's lubrication system and the atmospheric pressure. The measurement of pressure is the force per unit area applied in a direction perpendicular to the surface of an object. Gauge pressure (also spelled gage pressure) is the pressure relative to the local atmospheric or ambient pressure. Oil pressure is commonly expressed as gauge pressure, as opposed to absolute pressure.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Mechanical Oil Pressure gauges us a Bourdon (sp?) Tube, which is a tube bent into a coil. as air or fluid pressure enters the tube it will straighten depending upon the internal pressure. The flexing of the tube actuates a need on the gauge face.

So, Gavin is correct. Oil pressure gauges do not pump, and oil pressure gauges do not measure barometric pressure...they only measure internal pressure in the tube, be it oil pressure, water pressure, steam pressure or gas pressure.

...Rich

Pump was a bad word. And I left out "read" before change. Regardless the statement is correct. There is no oil "transferred" into the oil pressure gauge. L1 is correct. Without a vent at the end of the hose or tube there won't be oil in the hose. That being said given the choice I will always take the electric gauge over the mechanical. If they work good enough fro the worlds fastest v bottom boats running at 170mph+ over a one foot chop in a 185* engine room I suspect they are good enough for my sport trac. Really you might be talking about plus or minus 3% at 100*. I have seen more mechanical gauge failures due to the face rotating slightly in the housing.

Ok i can't seem to find a good position for the gauge, i was run on slightly off information but i still prefer mechanical. i was think on the A-pillar.

<a href="https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS561US562&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=a-pillar%20gauge%20pod&safe=off" target="_blank">A-Pillar Pods</a>

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts