Might you be a CAR SALESMAN, Psycareyo?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
I'm posting this because Psycareyo feels that anyone would do as he did, which is to renege on his offer to sell me his Xcal for $250.00. Here is our email exchange, last one first. Opinions? (My apologies to the ethical car salespeople out there)

From: "Paul Maurer, MD" <[email protected]>Add to Contacts

To: Carey Frennier <[email protected]>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carey,

My income and your income are irrelevant to the issues here, which are trust and integrity. You offered the item to me for $250 and I accepted. Now you have broken your word. There is no "maybe" here regarding integrity- you either have it or you don't, and clearly you don't. I bought a new radar detector on the MyST site from another member for a ridiculous low price- he had better offers but I was first in and he kept his word. Since you feel that "anyone" would do the same thing as you, I'll get some input on that and see. Thank you for the offer of $250 shipped if the other buyer acts like you, but I respectfully decline.

Paul Maurer,MD

Keys Eye Care

visolasikmedspas.com

305-296-1097

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carey Frennier <[email protected]> View Contact

To: [email protected]

If he doesn't end up commiting to the sale I will sell it to you for $250 shipped instead of $250 plus shipping.

I don't know what kind of income you have as an MD but to me, $50 is a lot of money right now. I'm just not willing to pass up that money. If it were $10 it would be another story. Maybe that is an itegrity issue also but I need the money and that is my bottom line. I believe that if the situation were reversed anyone would do the same thing. Actually, they probably would have just lied and said it was no longer for sale.

Thank You,

Carey

Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:41:00 -0700

Subject: Re: Sport Trac

Carey,

If I were you, I would stand by my earlier offer of "$250 plus shipping and its yours". My integrity is worth far more than $50.00. Thank you.

Paul Maurer,MD

Keys Eye Care

visolasikmedspas.com

305-296-1097

Sent: Tue, May 25, 2010 11:27:07 AM

Subject: RE: Sport Trac

Put yourself in my position. Would you eat $50? That is a tank of gas!

Thank You,

Carey

Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:10:25 -0700

In your last email you said "$250 plus shipping and its yours." I accepted. Thats what I call a gentlemans agreement. I will honor my word. Will you do the same? Thanks.

Paul Maurer,MD

Keys Eye Care

visolasikmedspas.com

305-296-1097

Sent: Tue, May 25, 2010 11:00:36 AM

Subject: RE: Sport Trac

I have someone asking me if I would sell it at $300 plus shipping.

Since you emailed me first I'm offering you the opportunity to counter offer before I confirm the sale with another site member.

Thank You,

Carey

Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:53:26 -0700

I can. Give me an idea of whats involved to install. Paypal?

Paul Maurer,MD

Keys Eye Care

visolasikmedspas.com

305-296-1097

To: "Paul Maurer, MD" <[email protected]>

Sent: Tue, May 25, 2010 9:19:35 AM

If you can do $250 plus shipping it is yours.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 25, 2010, at 9:13 AM, "Paul Maurer, MD" <[email protected]> wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Carey,

I'm interested in the Tuner unit. Can I do it myself? If so, how about $200 plus shipping? Thanks.

Paul Maurer,MD

Keys Eye Care

visolasikmedspas.com

305-296-1097

----------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you can do $250 plus shipping it is yours."

Seems to me as an agreement to purchase.

I'm not taking sides, but people really need to remember that emails can be very dangerous.

Interesting fact....

If an e-mail or chain of e-mails clearly states an offer for entering into a deal with all of the material terms, and the other side responds by email accepting the terms, then there's a good chance that a valid contract has been formed even though no signatures have been exchanged. So be careful. If all you intend is to negotiate the issues leading to a formal written and signed contract accepted by both parties, make sure you say that in your e-mails.

1) An agreement is an agreement

2) Income/money in the pocket is ALWAYS an issue to those of us not in the upper income brackets

3) Smearing e-mails and names all over the site for non-satisfactory deals does nothing for the reputation of either party nor does it do anything to promote/benefit this site. There is less and less activity on the site, fewer and fewer new faces. Ya'll keep it up!

4) Settle it between yourselves or just get over it. You didn't actually lose a thing here! :btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse:

5) You didn't ask for my opinion but you posted. I'm not joining any pity-party.

The saddest parts about this is, IMHO, are that:

a) The issue came to this in the first place. The way I look at it is that NEITHER party's integrity should be worth $50, and disagreements like this make both sides look bad.

b) It then turned into a public smear (IMHO)...which as I said, is what makes both sides look bad.

c) That the admins allowed (are allowing) it to continue.

I've thought in the past that airing dirty laundry like this isn't the best use of this website. Protecting others from individuals on this site isn't that noble a cause, IMHO.

TJR

My apologies to anyone who is offended, but the other party stated that anyone would do as he did- I'm merely seeking my fellow member's opinions to ascertain if that is true. Thankfully, bad deals like this are rare among us. If I deserve a spanking, I will gladly let Kalama deliver it.

A deal was made and Psycareyo should have kept it. The deal was not "$250 plus shipping and it's yours unless I get a better offer before I ship it to you".

Carey showed that his word is not his bond.

Carey:
I believe that if the situation were reversed anyone would do the same thing. Actually, they probably would have just lied and said it was no longer for sale.

That's not the way I operate.

Carey said:

To which Paul replied:
I can. Give me an idea of whats involved to install. Paypal?

Seems pretty simple to me: A deal was made right there and should've been honored.

However, I also think that this should have been kept between the two of you, and not aired in a public forum.

[Broken External Image]:

If all you wanted was to know if others would have done as he did, you could have found out without mentioning who he was. At least be honest with your intentions. Its a smear, in my opinion. No comment on who is at fault, just don't think this is the place to air these things out. I agree with all of TJR's points.

It is a shame it had to make it to a public forum...

That said, a deal is a deal.

And for the money difference, it would be more important to me to keep my character/integrity as I plan on hanging around this place one the sale was completed.....

You know what, I just had a second thought. And the answer to the question is?

How would you feel if it was you? Meaning, if you made a deal and the other party did not follow through on it, how would you feel about it.

If you would feel as though you were treated fair, then go for the better deal. If not, then honor the deal...

Good luck with it all...

Should have honored the $250 plus shipping deal that was made first.

Should not have made names public on the forum. If you felt you needed to post then you could have edited out the names involved.

Disputes should be settled privately unless it is a HUGE issue. This is not HUGE.

Lets get over this and keep this site a great place, these things do not help the site or make things around here look good.

I for one have not had a bad experience with any transactions on here, quite the opposite in fact. Do unto others.....

Maybe I should have honored the deal. I'm not passing up $50. I'm not an MD and I only make around $60,000 a year. So $50 is a bunch of cash to me. Espeically after buying two brand new vehicles yesterday. I want every dollar I can get.

I am a car salesman and I'm a damn good one. This has absolutely nothing to do with a multi-thousand dollar decision. You only used the car salesman comment because it's an easy scapegoat to further damange public opinion about me in order to sway empathy to your case. I hope it makes you feel better. That and you already knew I sold cars anyway. Everyone on the site knows that.

He is upset because he was about to STEAL that SCT. $250 plus shipping is insanely low. I had a better offer with a very fair/aggressive deal. I've never seen one that new, that low. Had the other offer been even $20 more I would have sold it to Lasik anyway.

I told him the truth. I could have simply lied and said I changed my mind and was going to keep it. That isn't how I roll.

I put myself and my financial interests first. I would do it again. I've bought and sold many items through this site and I've never had an issue.

I wish you wouldn't have gone ape and posted all this on the site. In the long run I could abolutely care less but it just would have been cool not to drag me through the e-Mud over something so irrelivant.

Had I sold you something that you had a problem with, I could understand this kind of post. But I simply elected to take a better deal somewhere else. Get over it.

For whatever it's worth, I still like the site. Since I don't have an ST anymore I probably won't post here anymore but you guys have been a huge part in what made owning the STA so awesome.

I can use all the cash I can get right now as well...I'm making under 30K and going back to school with a family. But $50 isn't worth it to me if I had alread made the deal, that becomes an honesty issue (I dont know you so I'm just saying what I would think of myself). You should have told him $270 if thats the price you would have went with or $300 if thats what you wanted. Just because $250 is a great deal for him, and you have never seen one go for that little before, doesn't mean you should back out once you agreed, your the one who was ok with that at first. To me an agreement is an agreement. Better deals come and go, honesty doesnt.

Again though, in my opinion, posting all that on here was not the right thing to do.

Two wrongs dont make it right.

I'm sorry I posted names- the car salesman bit was just too damn tempting and I was angry. I should have waited a day to cool off. E-mud- thats a good one.

Psycareyo said:
I told him the truth. I could have simply lied and said I changed my mind and was going to keep it. That isn't how I roll.

Unless Paul's engaging in some selective editing/posting regarding the e-mail correspondence between the two of you, that's not entirely true, Carey.

Based on your initial response to Paul's offer as posted here:
You didn't say "If you can do $250+shipping it's yours, unless I get a higher offer". So it should've been a closed deal at that point.

It shouldn't have been aired publicly here, but you also should've also been more forthright about your desire to get the most $$$ possible out of the product which you were selling - then this thread would've never occurred.

My 2 cents on this are that a deal was made, and he should have sold it for $250. Lasik offered $200 and Psycareyo with $250. Lasik didn't offer you $250, you came up with the $250. If you go to the store, lets say Best Buy. There is 1 TV left on the shelf on sale for $1000. You want to buy it and go to the checkout and they say that you have to pay $1100 for it, wouldn't you fight to buy it for $1000?

Love to be in the 60 grand realm. That said, I would /have kept my word when the deal cost me similar money. But that's just they way Grandpa is. Oh well....JMO!

'07ST

Latest posts