Mobil 1 or Motorcraft Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
My ST has 50k miles on it, and for its whole time i have been using Motorcraft oil filters and they work just great. Today Autozone had a special buy 5 or more qts of Mobil 1 and get a Mobil 1 filter free. So I couldn't pass that up. I have never used the Mobil 1 Oil Filters.. and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Should I stick with the tried and true, or are the Mobil 1 oil filters that much better?

Thanks,

Chris

About the same as a motorcraft.... use it this time and switch back...

Todd Z

I've been using Mobil 1 full syntehtic oil in the ST for 50k miles and Mobil 1 filter for the last 2 changes bc i got the sale ur talking about. I never used motorcraft oil fillters, just Fram and they seem to work just fine. Has anyone used K&N wrench off oil filters?

This weeks AutoZone special is 5 qts Castrol Syntec and a K & N filter.

I changed mine on Saturday, due to NOT writing down my last change so I had no idea how many miles I went (Doh!).

Also did my best BP impersonation, While under the truck, I heard a sound, couldn't figure it out until I came out from under the truck and saw an entire quart bottle on its side. What a waste of a quart of synthetic oil!

Not impresses with the wrench-off thing, the size is not a socket I own, and no other flats on the case. Hope I can get it off in 6 months or so!

I'm more of an oil geek than most people here. Now that that's out in the open....

Motorcraft is a perfectly fine filter and hands-down the best filter for the money.

Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters are made with a thicker can, pick one up and you can tell it's heavier, and a synthetic filter media. Motorcraft and most other filters use a paper filter media in which the pores (i.e. holes) are of random size because well, paper is like that. There are big pores and small pores and medium pores. The synthetic media in the M1 and K&N has uniform porosity so the filtration is more consistent and the filter will flow better and last longer before kicking in to full bypass mode. Also if you off-road, a M1 or K&N will more likely survive a whack from a rock without puncturing than a Motorcraft or other filter because the can is thicker and heavier.

So the short answer is that a Mobil 1 filter (and K&N) is better than a Motorcraft. It's just a matter of if you need "better" or want to spend the extra money for "better".

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate all the input. I did put the Mob 1 filter on and did notice it is thicker, and it seemed to tighten really easily (don't ask me why) So far I am happy with it, but haven't gone offroad with it yet. My trac just got new tires (the biggest Les Schwab could fit), new oil and filter, and K&N air filter so I am ready for the rain to start here in Oregon.

Because of the position of the filter on the 4.0, the nut on the K&N is an advantage when it comes to removing the filter. I just got a claw-type filter wrench and use that.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts