Mobil 1 Synthetic Question - High Iron?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
For a short time, I'm able to get my hands on Mobil 1 synthetic oil on the cheap, but I never used it because of all the oil analysis of high iron content might be causing engine wear. Some swear by M1 others stay away, I rarely used it. How does our 4.0l SOHC motors handle with M1 5w30? Has any members had oil analysis performed with M1?

Big Al

I recently got a UOA with Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula after 6500 miles and the iron was much higher than it was on the 5000 mile UOA. It's only Parts Per Million (PPM) though. As long as you run it for 5000 to 6000 miles I wouldn't worry about it. I went back to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Mobil 1 filters since I decided to stretch out my oil changes to the full 7500 miles. I'm on my third 4.0 SOHC-powered Ford and the bottom line best UOA's I've ever had were with Pennzoil Platinum...which is a little bit cheaper than Mobil 1. Not that Mobil 1 UOA's were bad, just that the Pennzoil was better.

Search the Used Oil Analysis - Gas Engines Forum at www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com for 4.0 SOHC Fords and you should be able to find mine and any others. I am JohnnyO there too although I don't post much any more.

I recently ran castrol full syn and a K&N filter 10kmiles. Did a filter change @ 5K.

My UOA's came back very good also the TBN test..

The lab techs personal message, recomended to run the full 10K miles on one filter.

So I will run this 10k on the same oil and a K&N filter. I will send blackstone labs a sample again at 10k

If it looks good that will be my choice of oil and filter.

Advance auto parts in my area. Has the castrol full syn on sale for $27 with a K&N or Mobil 1 filter 6 times a year.

I chose the castrol because of the sale. Also because I use to run castrol dino racing oil In my '73 340 cuda I was racing. Never ran an oil test, but my motorheld up with no problems due to lubrication. I was impressed with the wear on the motor. When I did tear downs for internal peformance changes.

Not saying castrol is the best. Just that my experiance with it was good.

I run castrol or mobil w/ 12-15 change interval since new w/o issue.. filter needs to e changed at 10-12 k though... you can hear the valvetrain rattle when the filter strts to clog.. 195,000 miles

I switched from my usual Valvoline to Mobil 1 on my the oil change before the most recent and I don't think my truck liked the switch. Just didn't "feel right." Real scientific, I know. Back on Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic, though.

Latest posts