Mod Idea for Gen2 owners

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
When I traded my gen1 for my gen2 I was dissappointed with the wide gap between the rear seats and the rear of the cab when the seat was folded down. I carry dogs and other stuff back there and I didn't want them to fall in the gap.

I used a piece of 1/4 inch thick plywood (cut to size), a piano hinge, and some Wal-mart automotive floor fabric to create a fold down cover much like the ones on the gen1s. I covered the plywood with the fabric, bolted on the hinge (painted flat black along with the nuts & bolts), and attached to the back panel. To finish, I glued on a strip of the fabric to cover the hinge, added a strap hook to hold it in place while accessing the jack area, and glued on a jack diagram placard.

Folds down automatically when the seat is lowered (had to play with the attachment angle for best fit).

Does the job nicely.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job. I wonder why it didn't come factory like the Gen1. It's one of my favorite features of the truck to have a perfectly flat area in the back. 99% of the time, my back seats are folded down.

Excellent idea and it looks great tool....all except the red bungy cord...:grin:

:supercool:

...Rich

I filled the gap on mine too. Actually CWells custom made me a box for my truck right after I got it. He wanted the measurements so that he could also make boxes for the Gen2. Not sure if he really made very many of them. Makes mine more valuable. Serial number 0001.

[Broken External Image]:

Nice job, I do miss the way my Gen 1 had the hinged panel back there, made it nice for the dogs. I filled my Gen 2 gaps with foam blocks covered in black fabric. The seats have no problem with them left in there.

Richard L. - you're right. I think I'll find some black cord.

ncstatewolfpacker - I used self-taping screws with some 3m auto trim tape between the hinge and the panel. It took twelve screws, so I thought it would be alright. If the angle is right the seat will take most of the weight.