Mods Are Installed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Willey

Reaction score
Well all the mods I ordered got here and were installed today. The rumble from the exhaust is a bit louder than I expected. The wife is a bit dubious about it all, maybe even synical that anything will be gained. I sense a potential complaint about the noise. It is a good thing I kept the old exhaust.

Too soon to make any comments about any difference in handling the shocks, suspension, and sway bar will make. I will take it for a spin tomorrow.

Haven’t used the XCAL to retune yet. I didn’t get any documentation with and had to go on line to get the manual.

Joe W, holy sh*t!!! I thought it was only my wife that was able to strike the fear into a mans heart with the EYE!!! I do know what you mean. Just keep your eye on the road and by all means DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT!!!!:lol:;)

Drove my ST 140 miles yesterday. Here are my observations regarding the mods:

1. SUSPENSION: The EE sway bar, American Suspension, and shocks defiantly make it handle and ride better. It is more responsive on turns and those parking lot speed bumps are less jarring.

2. XCAL-II: Before leaving the house, I loaded the tune. It was easy enough to do, but I don’t know anything about changing the different ratios it asked me about so I didn’t do anything with them. Shifting is noticeably smoother. While I sensed quicker starts and a faster transition from stop to cruising speed, I can’t objectively state there was any increase speed or hp. I guess I need some method of measuring…any suggestions? After topping off I drove about 110 additional miles. It was a combination of freeway and city streets. I drive 78 mph on the freeway and the speed limit on city streets. The gas gauge shows more than ¾ of tank remaining. Because I don’t know how accurate the gauge is, I don’t really know how much fuel I burned.

3. EXHAUST: Still louder in the cabin than what I care for…certainly louder than what my wife likes. Noise levels when achieving cruising speeds are of course high. Once lower cruising speeds (70 and below) are reached, the RPMs drop and so does the noise level in the cabin. However, at freeway cruising speeds, the noise level is still higher than I like. I wonder if replacing the Y-Pipe with the stock pre-cats would lower cabin noise? Any comments?

4. AIR INTAKE: I can hear it as when I accelerate…don’t know if it improving any performance. Still have not removed the stock air box and wonder if there is a need to do so. Any comments?

We pick up the trailer this afternoon. The wife will drive to storage lot and back. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say.

Joe,

While you will see a noticeable difference at first, it does take a couple of days for the tuning to be learned into the PCM.

Thanks Wayne.

Picked up the tailer yesterday. 60 mile r/t which the wife drove. She likes the way it handles, but can't stand the exhaust noise. She has resigned herself to it so long as it improves performance and gas mileage. I'm pretty sure it is the noise from the Y-Pipes we hear in the cabin.