Money Earmarked for Evacuation Redirected

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
According to this article, it seems that Congress gave money to Louisiana to draft an evacuation plan for the city. However, none of the folks in Louisiana that do such plans ever saw the money come down from the state. Apparently, it was funneled off to something or someone else. :angry:

from what i hear from co-workers who lived in Louisiana

and have family there they said that the envirmental groups

have been fighting for years everytime they tried to fix the levee

and that when the money was sent for evacution plans they

found other things to spend it on

That's nothing new for Louisiana. Nearly all the politicians end up being investigated or indited for some shady dealings. It's been going on there for so many decades, I think the citizens believe that's normal.

My wife is from Baton Rouge, and her father worked for and retired from the State Police. Man, could he tell some stories of what the shady politicians did that he knew about over the years.

...Rich

There have been several articles about this on, or linked from, NewsMax.com and the Drudge Report. Apparently, several N.O. and/or Louisiana pols were under indictment before Katrina for misuse of funds. Much of the money which was designated for an overall evacuation study was spent to study one specific bridge instead, and other funds are completely unaccounted for. Sounds like business as usual in the one state that may actually be more corrupt than mine (NJ)!

Unfortunately, my home state of Kentucky is also in the running to be the most corrupt state. It is true that absolute power corrupts absolutely. :(

They had an evacuation plan which involved using school buses. The same ones that are shown in this satellite photo under water.

Anyone seen the story about the Sierra CLub suing to stop the Corps of Engineers from augmenting the levees that burst?

Neal Boortz featured it on his website today - http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Speaking of flood control. You did know, didn't you, that in 1996 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was going to raise and strengthen the very levees that failed in New Orleans. They were going to, but they didn't. And why not? Because of a lawsuit, that's why. The plaintiff in the lawsuit didn't want the work done until extensive and expensive environmental impact statements were prepared by the Corps of Engineers and approved by the EPA. And who filed that lawsuit? Why .. it was the Sierra Club. The very same Sierra Club, by the way, that listened with rapt attention in San Francisco on September 9th while Al Gore told them that the leaders of this country ought to be held accountable for the flooding in New Orleans. Now, some of us might be so twisted as to think that the very Sierra Club that was so enthralled by Gore's rantings should bear some of the blame here ... but that's only because we just don't realize that it was all Bush's fault.

Latest posts