money pit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had some front end noise and got to looking last weekend and found i had a lower ball joint bad on the drivers side. Then i thought i should look at the drivers side and the lower was bad there too. Long story short new lower ball joints, new upper control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, shocks at all 4 corners, new brake pads. I did all the work myself with just over $450 in parts and then an alignment for $64. The next morning my battery died it was -23 out that morning, so a new Die hard cost me another $100. On the way to take my daughter sledding tonight and herd a horrible grinding so pulled over and the wheel had major camber going on and an ABS light so i called for a flat bed and that cost me another $69 to take me 5 miles or so home. I tore it apart and the wheel bearing is shot and it tore up the rotor as well, so that set me back another $175. This damn sport trac has cost me almost $900 in about a week and it still has a tranny leak to be fixed. If i didnt have so much money in it i would trade it off. While i was at it i changed my oil and rotated the tires. Sorry i just had to complain about this thing a little bit.

First, congrats on doing your own work. You probably would have tripled the money you spent if you had a shop do it.

Second, I never repalced a single suspension part on my Trac other than the shocks. And those I did by choice as they are junk the moment Ford put them on.

I find it strange that some have had to do so much work while others never have an issue.

To date, I have owned two Tracs. The only hardware I have replaced were the front rotors on one at 80,000 miles....

I've had multiple front-end issues as well. Hopefully after doing all that work you will never have to do it again!

It's as good as new now, I've done all that to mine too, although I did it before it was absolutley necessary and therefore on my schedule spreading the cost out over a year.

Why is this in the off topic forum and not th eSport trac forum?:smile0017:

Latest posts