Moonroof problems... Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Specifically, the one with the moonroof option, because it's different than the one without the moonroof. I need to replace the moonroof switch. The DVD service manual that I have is kind of vague on how to remove the console. It says to move it to the left (driver's side) and that it should slide off.

Anybody else attempted this yet? Just wanted to get some input from those with experience before I try it and possible break something.

Thanks!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Sal.:cool:

I did a search in the Projects section using the words "console", "moonroof", and "overhead", and that project never came up.

That should do it.

Gotta love this web site:wub:

Always an answer for your ST related questions!:D

Well, just replaced the moonroof switch, and I'm still having problems. It sometimes goes back all the way, and sometimes only a little bit. The amount it opens seems to be random. Closing is not usually a problem, I'm just having trouble with it opening.

Any ideas?:huh:

How long are you holding it for? If you just hit it quick once it will open all the way back. If you hold it in longer it will stop as soon as you let go. That way you can open it part way. Just a thought.

Yes, it's out of warranty, unfortunately. 40,000 miles.:angry:

How long are you holding it for? If you just hit it quick once it will open all the way back. If you hold it in longer it will stop as soon as you let go. That way you can open it part way. Just a thought.

It's not operator error, if that's what you're thinking. It does it whether you tap it for the "auto-open" feature, or if you hold the button down.

Okay, just thought it might be a simple problem to solve if it was operator error. Like Tracket Paul said, it might need lube or have something binding on the rails. Good luck figuring it out.

The rails appear to have plenty of lubricant. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take it in for service.:angry:

Try to assist it open with you hand pushing it back as it travels. If it does open all the way, then you know something is binding and it is shutting down. If you can feel it catching or jumping then you know for sure something is binding or the mechanical drive has an issue.

For manual operation. Remove the overhead console. Insert a flat head screwdriver in the center of the manual drive slot to depress the release pin. Rotate the screwdriver clockwise to close or counter clockwise to open. You can check for binding in the motor housing or in the tracks.